RR Additive F gelled

I just used it once and today when going for a fillcoat i saw it was gelled, is there anything i can do or should i toss it?

I suspect that xylene has evaporated causing wax to come out of solution.
If there is liquid under the wax crust, the liquid portion may still have enough wax in it to work.

Warm it up. I had that happen to me when it’s cold.either a heat mat in a box or warm water ,maybe put in a ziplock bag so no contamination

3 Likes

I second the warm it up approach. This happened to me all the time when I lived in the Bay Area since it gets cold sometimes. Loosen the cap first as pressure can build up. Warm water works the best. I’ve also been successful with placing the bottle in a sunny spot for a few minutes. I definitely would not use the microwave.

It needs to be above 70F and it helps if the resin is up there too. I microwave the resin before mixing in the hardener and Add F. Makes everything go very smooth.

1 Like

I got a small crock pot from Goodwill to keep my Add F warm when using in winter here( I live in Northern coastal Oregon). Keep it on low, keep an eye on the water level as it evaporates off. It keeps the Add F at a very nice, fluid state. I have my resin in a small cabinet with a light bulb for heat source. This is enough for the resin but the Add F needs to be just a bit warmer than my lil cabinet.

Keeping it simple in Santa Cruz, cuz “f” is cloudy every day with the winter temps. 30 seconds in the microwave on high!

I try to keep my room warm, and then I put my RR stuff on a metal rack above my radiator heater - with loose lids just to be safe - prior to mixing batches.