RR X-55 Accelerator

We have introduced an epoxy accelerator to go with our resin system called X-55. It is available now from RR Tucson (321-223-5276) and should be available through distributors within the next few weeks.

What it does is initiate a quicker reaction by pushing the exotherm to peak faster. This also pushes the cure cycle through quicker. It can be used with either our fast or slow hardeners. We’ve developed this primarily for hot coats and glossing where these thin films tend to lag through cure cycle.

We’ve also used it in laminating and this could be of some use in colder conditions although it does dramatically shorten pot life. It has no effect on UV stability or initial color (it comes as a very pale blue liquid) of the system and in prescibed amounts no effect on any of the physicals.

It is used as an additive at 1cc per ounce of mixed material (3%). It is added at time of mixing. More X-55 will shorten pot life and accelerate cure a bit more but we don’t recommend going much higher than the precribed amount above. There is a point at which it becomes ineffective and starts to effect cured resin physicals.

Anyone interested can call or email me at .

Can this also be used to set fin boxes.

I just went to your webpage and it isn’t shown. What will it price be?

Price will be $10 per pint. I’ll have it on the website soon. I’m working on the website right now. Additive F isn’t on there either. As for fin boxes I don’t think X-55 will be for that. Builds too much heat.

If your setting boxes in polystyrene there are a couple ways to go. We usually just set the boxes when we do the laminate. We usually use O’Fish’L boxes which have the angle set in the base of the fin so that works fine. If you need to set the angle with one of the other systems you can use 5 minute epoxy which can be bought at hobby shops. That stuff isn’t great quality resin but for setting boxes it’s great, plenty strong and it doesn’t get too hot. And it’s super fast. Just don’t get any on the blank because it turns super yellow.

Just to update, I’ll be sending samples to our distributors over the next few days. If you are buying from one of them you might check with them in the next week or two.

Hey Greg,

How about UV barrier additive – what’s the status on it mate? – got a Goin twinzer and John Mel Fish to glass and I want to put it in the mix.

FYI out this R.R. stuff will sheet paper thin with a little Additive “F” in the mix. You can almost fair the stuff out without sandpaper. Amazing! Just put a pair of rubber gloves on and wipe it with your fingers.

Another note: The fin panels I due with this material are much nicer to work with than the poly panels. Even without any carbon fiber in the layup R.R. epoxy has a quicker flex response than Poly at the same thickness do the higher glass fiber ratio in the panel

Keep up the great work Greg. We’re all depending on you.

Good Surfin’, Rich

Quote:

Another note: The fin panels I due with this material are much nicer to work with than the poly panels. Even without any carbon fiber in the layup R.R. epoxy has a quicker flex response than Poly at the same thickness do the higher glass fiber ratio in the panel

I find them easier to foil…more sandable, actually, than the poly fin layups. Definitely wets out the glass more easily.

But for me the biggest kicker is the safety issue. I don’t need any more exposure to VOCs, styrene and acetone bye-bye forever.

The UV absorber I have turns the resin kinda yellow. I’m trying to work that out right now. A better barrier is painting the blank white. Much better barrier and seals the blank a bit too.

When we first started to work with epoxy all we had was slow. We used to flip the boards and knock the laps down with a plain ole drinking glass. Just kinda smoshed the gelled resin flat. Saved us from having to wait to sand the stuff. The fast is much quicker now so we haven’t done that in many years.

“The UV absorber I have turns the resin kinda yellow. I’m trying to work that out right now. A better barrier is painting the blank white. Much better barrier and seals the blank a bit too.”

Pardon my ignorance, but does this mean that RR (without the UV absorber) doesn’t yellow, just the blank?

Painting the blank white? Greg, did you have any problems with delams on painted blanks? It would seem to me that a quality latex primer would be the easiest and quickest method of sealing a blank.

So, this would be a good resin mix for this type of gloss coat? Richie lost 5 lbs. in sweat going through all the grits you mentioned.

J. Troy gave me some to try and seems to quicken things up a bit. Hardly need any, either. I’ve been using it in all hotcoats.

Fiberglass Hawaii has a 3 minute (at 75F) clear 2:1 epoxy that gels quickly, then takes a couple of hours to harden up. Perfect for setting glass on fins and installing leash cups. In Hawaii, though, its really a 90 second epoxy. I find it indespensible for these sort of tasks.

Hey Greg on another note, is there any negatives to laminating using RR epoxy on a polyurethane blank or should I stick to just using EPS when using RR epoxy. Thanks

i frequently use RR on PU. only potential downside is that the foam won’t spring back the way EPS does. with light foam and a light glassing schedule, you’d be asking for a lot of pressure dents, and down the road, delams. i use a denser foam, and slightly heavier glassing schedule, and have had great results with RR.

Greg,

$10.00 for a pint. Can I still send my order via paypal like before? I just ordered a 3 gal kit, but will need another again within a week. I guess I should just start getting the 7 gal kit instead.

Hey schroeder,

I wouldn’t if I was you. I sent a payment via paypal same as I’d done many times before and have heard nothing, THAT WAS 3 MONTHS AGO!! I can’t get a hold of them either. Gone are the days of getting you RR fix in a timely matter. I realize there are other suppliers but I ordered the 2020 with the slow hardener. Most places only carry the 2000 and the fast hardener.

So Greg if you’re out there…can I have my resin…PLEASE

I’d say I’ve been patient enough.

Adam Foster

Wow. I feel lucky. I have ordered a 3 gal kit every month since June. Got all of my orders so far. The last one took a phone call and they put it on the truck that day. Used the number on the website to get another number that was on the voice recording.

All I can say is that Greg’s shipping people in Arizona really get the product out fast these days. My order was placed last Sunday night and I got it yesterday. Thanks Greg! As usual, you and your employees have been taking care of me and my epoxy needs. If your order is missing or screwed up, call them. Good people to do biz with.

UPDATE:

On hot days, like it was today, the accelerator thickens the resin too quickly to hotcoat more than one or maybe 2 boards at once, at least with the 1980 resin. The acceleration begins immediately and I had 4 hotcoats that wouldn’t even flow out. Had to squegee them off, let it tack, then rehotcoat w/o accelerator. Thankfully, I didn’t have to retape. Shame about all that resin, but the boards came out killer, which is the point of the exercise. Use with caution. Definitely speeds things up, though.