rub it out ....

when applying rubbing compound…what is the best type of applicator when using a power polisher? can you use the normal soft buffing pads? or does it need a certain applicator?

when applying rubbing compound…what is the best type of applicator when > using a power polisher? can you use the normal soft buffing pads? or does > it need a certain applicator? Any pad will work… 3M sponge, lambs wool… Speed is the trick i compound polish with a 6000 and lambs wool… and finish with a 3M sponge now and a low speed machine… I remember Robert August made me use Pledge and a rag on finished boards talk about shine??? You just couldn’t wax your board till you cleaned the Pledge off. http://surfnwsc.com

Any pad will work… 3M sponge, lambs wool… Speed is the trick i compound > polish with a 6000 and lambs wool… and finish with a 3M sponge now and a > low speed machine… I remember Robert August made me use Pledge and a rag > on finished boards talk about shine??? You just couldn’t wax your board > till you cleaned the Pledge off. Yep I use the wool pad with a grinder that will get up to 6000…then I switch to a clean pad and use fill n glaze which is a wax polish.I have been eyeballing the foam pads for a while now but never got one.Which one do you use?They used to make this stuff called “Liquid Ebony” that was an industry standard for final buffs but I think its off the market…Rob da Man. R.B.

Yep I use the wool pad with a grinder that will get up to 6000…then I > switch to a clean pad and use fill n glaze which is a wax polish.I have > been eyeballing the foam pads for a while now but never got one.Which one > do you use?They used to make this stuff called “Liquid Ebony” > that was an industry standard for final buffs but I think its off the > market…Rob da Man. R.B. Hey RB 3M yellow they work great at slow speeds. a 6000 would really screw up the pad i think… ever wash your wool pads??? it makes them puffy again… I use to have like 20 wool pads ( Flat back ) and would wash them after each board what a difference… I remeber Ebony now i just use 3M compound and any old car polish i can get my hands on… Got any Bondo??? still works good it’s the smell that i miss… http://surfnwsc.com

i use my 2700 milwaukee polisher with a boat polish. i use one of those off-white hairy pads. i only sand to 600. its all i have to work with right now but doesnt look half bad.

Hey RB 3M yellow they work great at slow speeds. a 6000 would really screw > up the pad i think… ever wash your wool pads??? it makes them puffy > again… I use to have like 20 wool pads ( Flat back ) and would wash them > after each board what a difference… I remeber Ebony now i just use 3M > compound and any old car polish i can get my hands on…>>> Got any Bondo??? still works good it’s the smell that i miss… Im gonna get a foam pad.I do wash my pads but probably not enough.I have a Milwaukee variable speed sander that goes from 0 to 5 or 6 thousand.You may know this but I’ll spout it anyway…I used to periodically clean my pads by holding a screwdriver or something on it while running.I had one of those pro pad cleaners but it was no biggie.Now I hold the blow off nozzle on my air compressor hose on it…the air forces the grit off and dries it at the same time…R.B.

i also have a milwaukee variable speed…what kind of pads can i use for compounding/polishing? would i need an adapter to fit a smaller size?

Yep I use the wool pad with a grinder that will get up to 6000…then I > switch to a clean pad and use fill n glaze which is a wax polish.I have > been eyeballing the foam pads for a while now but never got one.Which one > do you use?They used to make this stuff called “Liquid Ebony” > that was an industry standard for final buffs but I think its off the > market…Rob da Man. R.B. Roger, I know Fiberglass Florida carried Liquid Ebony but I can’t remember if I sawe any on their shelf last time I was in. I sure hope it’s not off the market, that stuffs fantastic it makes the gloss really pop! I’ve always wondered how rottenstone as used for polishing varnish and shellac would work on a gloss-coat after sureluster. If Liquid Ebony is through I’ll have to try when I run out. My V-S Milwaukee is the best $200 I’ve spent in a long time. I tried your tip with power sanding dry #500 on gloss. Wish I had back all the hours I used to waste wet-sanding. Thanks a million.

Roger, I know Fiberglass Florida carried Liquid Ebony but I can’t remember > if I sawe any on their shelf last time I was in. I sure hope it’s not off > the market, that stuffs fantastic it makes the gloss really pop!>>> I’ve always wondered how rottenstone as used for polishing varnish and > shellac would work on a gloss-coat after sureluster. If Liquid Ebony is > through I’ll have to try when I run out.>>> My V-S Milwaukee is the best $200 I’ve spent in a long time. I tried your > tip with power sanding dry #500 on gloss. Wish I had back all the hours I > used to waste wet-sanding. Thanks a million. Lance thats interesting.You know about shellack and rottenstone.My main income comes from antique furniture restoration…the french polish is the 18th century answer to a modern polish.Enough already on that.Rubbing compound is nothing more than an abrasive in a medium…some compounds use rottenstone as the grit.I buy from Fiberglass Fla…glad to hear that they may still have liquid ebony…I have never found a better final buff product…a few drops will do ya…thanks R.B…P.S. cut the sandpaper the way Rob describes it really works…bless his little foam dust covered heart.