Rubber types?

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone is familiar with making rubber products from home, like having a mold and forming rubber items. I have an idea for a product which requires a shape molded from rubber that I can stick onto the board (3m adhesive i guess, so rubber has to be compatible/not melt etc) and fairly stiff. anyone have any experience to throw a couple ideas on what rubber types would be feasible or how to go about it. just to try a prototype and see if it functions as i imagine.

sorry for the vagueness on product but you know how it is. :slight_smile:

chris

Most plastics are flexible to a point, you look new here…are you familiar with different resins ?, oogoo ?
Are you sure rubber is what you want ? It’s a very old product when you could mold fibre reinforced silicone ?
If you Share a little bit you’ll get better results.

You will need to look into the surface energy of the rubber and board to get the right adhesive.

Careful Jim.
That is science (abstract science)…

have a look at this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fwytA5r2Mw

Abstract science! - golden! Haha

Made my day!

Just to be clear, is the final product to be made from rubber, are you wanting to make a rubber mold in which to produce a more rigid plastic part, or are both mold and final part to be rubber?

I’ve had success using products from Smooth-on for silicone molding and mold-making, but haven’t delved into other materials. You might check them out, as I think they have some other rubber products.

Sounds to me like he is attempting to make some sort of “hood ornament” for nose of boards. This is all I can picture for any type of 3D type of object that would be stuck to a board. I could be way off.

Sorry, I’ll try not to let it happen again…today…on this thread…

What I understand from that video is that a hand grenade is considered a toy in America, is this correct ?
You guys play rough !!
Haha

I think he’s trying to build a connector between the board and maybe a GoPro ?

You have several types of sealants and adhesives that you can buy in the construction store:
Silicone – the most common one, maybe the easiest to impregnate fibers, and the one with worst mechanical properties.

Polyurethane – the most sticky when you are applying, you will get everything dirty with it. Nice mechanical properties. Has good adhesion properties to a wide range of materials, making it very versatile. (this is what you probably have holding the wind shield of your car).

Modified silane polymer – Best mechanical properties, very strong adhesion to same materials like: Stainless steel, aluminium, epoxy resin. Best adhesion to polished surfaces.

If you want to make a moulded part I suggest you make the mould with PTFE or Polypropylene or polyethylene. These polymers will release fairly easy from the above sealants.