Sacred Craft

Not to steer the subject away from the Sacred Craft that just went down in Ventura, but does anyone know of any possibility of an East Coast Sacred Craft at some point? I heard very, very faint rumors to this extent, but that’s about the extent of it. Thanks.

Chris

The point is…what surf expo and ASR used to be…is now what Sacred is and it won’t be long before it looks pretty much like any other trade show.   The trade shows have always had shapers, shaping booths, surf stars and etc. The main difference is this one allows the public in and at this point in time doesn’t allow the resort junk.  My guess is that stuff will start showing up also if they are willing to pay the booth price.

Sacred Craft…ASR…Surf Expo. Nothing really new under the sun. What was…is.  Just a different twist.  Love it or hate it. It is what it is. A trade show that sells tickets to the public. If they took the marketing term " Sacred " out if would be a more accurate description. 

I have had fun at trade shows in the past and would likely enjoy this one also to catch up with some old friends, but I have not been to a trade show in so long I can’t remember the last one.  If I’m there and the surf is up…I’m not going to be at a show.

Hi Solo,

You commented on “not allowing resort junk”, etc… at Sacred Craft but there has always some sort of that stuff even since the first one.  The thing that really has gotten me is the fact that the overseas pop-outs are allowed at the show (Surftech, Boardworks, and other overseas SUP pop-outs).  These guys have been present since the first SC.  That’s just my take and my gripe on the show.  Luckily I rarely see anyone at there booths since most people are there for the more rootsy side of surfing.  Whether there will be more of them now that ASR is involved will yet to be seen.

Have fun-

Brad

[quote="$1"]

Hi Solo,

You commented on "not allowing resort junk", etc... at Sacred Craft but there has always some sort of that stuff even since the first one.  The thing that really has gotten me is the fact that the overseas pop-outs are allowed at the show (Surftech, Boardworks, and other overseas SUP pop-outs).  These guys have been present since the first SC.  That's just my take and my gripe on the show.  Luckily I rarely see anyone at there booths since most people are there for the more rootsy side of surfing.  Whether there will be more of them now that ASR is involved will yet to be seen.

Have fun-

Brad

[/quote]

Agree. I wrote about it back then too..which is why I said above I feel less guilty about saying it now and having it right from the beginning.   I'm not a huge fan of trade shows for years even though I have had fun a few of them in times past.  I don't see any real business done at a trade show that couldn't be accomplished by a good rep, a phone call or a decent web site.  It's a hang out and hang outs just are not my thing anymore.  I know what I like, I communicate with some of the best craftsmen in the industry on a pretty consistent basis and a trade " show " has little appeal to me.

In my opinion, if shapers and other manufatures spent the same amount of time and money they spent preparing for a trade show doing right by their dealers, doing their own advertisment or following up with their customers...they would be money ahead and more orders on the way.   All these things are akin to a world bizarre and those who start them as " business " ventures are counting on the cool factor to make them a success. I liked the original concept that never really happened.  To aid and focus on the domestic craftsmen.  Were I still a wide eyed surfer just wanting to check out some boards and wasn't already settled in his likes and dislikes...I might go just because.  Heck...if the surf was flat and I was out there, I might go anyway. I'm just not making any special trips for it.  

As for a business venture. I think Bass was ahead of the game, did a good job and got the payout from one of the bigger shows who had been shrinking in popularity for years.  Good for him.  

In years past I spent way more over the year on print media, $9.000.00 with Longboard magazine, one confirmed order and that from Holland.

The shows, Surf Expo, ASR and Sacred Craft, left people put a face to a name, I had many walk ups at SC, who had never met me, but were followers of my work. My rep, Surfore, beats the bushes on a daily basis, but shaking hands and taking the time to chat lets the public know you are more than an unapproachable, aloof surf jerk.

All totaled, I spent about 15 hundred to do the show, my boards were customer orders ready to ship, so I didn’t have to pony up big bucks to make stock and I didn’t go with the expectation that people were coming there with wads of cash in their pockets and were going to spend it with me.

It was a once a year meet the Folkers

your boards were awesome !!!  to bad my camera took a dump on me , i would put up some pics.

[quote="$1"]

In years past I spent way more over the year on print media, $9.000.00 with Longboard magazine, one confirmed order and that from Holland.

The shows, Surf Expo, ASR and Sacred Craft, left people put a face to a name, I had many walk ups at SC, who had never met me, but were followers of my work. My rep, Surfore, beats the bushes on a daily basis, but shaking hands and taking the time to chat lets the public know you are more than an unapproachable, aloof surf jerk.

All totaled, I spent about 15 hundred to do the show, my boards were customer orders ready to ship, so I didn't have to pony up big bucks to make stock and I didn't go with the expectation that people were coming there with wads of cash in their pockets and were going to spend it with me.

It was a once a year meet the Folkers

[/quote]

I shouldn't have put print in my response. I hate all print ads for the surfboard business.  I have another business where print works. It doens't in the Surfboard business.  If you are not getting orders because of a rep. with your quality of work. The rep ain't doing his job.   I think a website with pictures and an inventory list including your picture and maybe an introduction by you would still do better than attending numerous shows.  I don't blame anyone that wants to attend S.C. for doing so. If you netted good orders out of it then it was great for you and I'm happy for you.

Did anyone take video of GL glassing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc2W3szKnO0&feature=player_embedded

Interject Simon Anderson for Yater or who ever in the beginning of the vid. 

Venue’s, parking issues aside, it’s a clean event with a lot of variety. But, it’s more about the people who go. Surfing’s never been a big money maker and most everyone’s on the edge financially, so it’s the next teer up from the funky Swaylocks event or anything but thruster day. 

or down, how ever you want to see it. Scott Bass is onto something, and it’s evolving as it goes. I know he’ll take suggestions and probably is working on new locations, including international. That’s a big commitment and undertaking.   

i should say that funky is good and fine, just different, more dirt.

The two I went to in the past seemed like the "tribe" getting together for a luau.  At this one, the "tribe" put on long pants and buttoned up their shirts.  It's still a great idea and I'll keep going until there are more loafers than flip-flops.

Got tired helping a friend make Burning Man costumes…5:30 am, drive from Berkeley to off-site parking by San Francisco International…of course, got in wrong security line…9:10 in S.D…short bus ride…short walk…help someone carry boards up the stairs…and into the ‘show’.  My first SC, great meeting, asking questions, b.s.ing, etc., with people I’ve known of for years…decades !! Sorry, forgot camera. Interesting story, Simon A. and the thurster…and the $1 donation and and catch the 7:42 back to San Francisco. Driving over the Bay Bridge…'Geez, what a day '…For a newbi, a good time.

Trying to spin this in a positive direction; was thinking how cool it would be for the guys from Swaylocks to have a co-op booth and maybe perpetuate more of the like minded approach.

It’s also hard to get away from the shinny shoes in the big city. Up here in the high rent district, you’ll see the Black BMW roll up w/ the quiver of CI’s on the leather seats. After nine AM is’s the desperate housewives etc.

Sacred Craft is a great vision. It’s going to keep evolving IMO. Still, I walk past a lot of stuff I’m not interested in, thats cool, it leaves more time to BS about the good old days.

I think that this is a great (and, yes, positive) idea.

Howzit balsa, I agree 100% seeing how we are the # 1 surfboard building website. Aloha,Kokua