sanded finish

Hey guys

When doing a sanded finish, is it the hot coat that is sanded to the finish??,

or do you add an other thin coat of resin or something else, after sanding the hot coat, and finish sand the second coat??

Cheers

And…

Would epoxy be any different than poly???

Cheers

Sanded finish = sanded, ready for gloss coat. Usually put some kind of acrylic finish on these.

No rub out but wet-sanded gloss coat = sanded gloss coat.

Quote:
Hey guys

When doing a sanded finish, is it the hot coat that is sanded to the finish??,

or do you add an other thin coat of resin or something else, after sanding the hot coat, and finish sand the second coat??

Cheers

as I understand, if it’s the last thing you do, a sanded finish is a sanded finish, regardless of what coat you’re sanding.

you could add a gloss coat and polish it but then it’s not a sanded finish, unless you sanded it again then it’d be a sanded finish. but if you polished it then it’d be a sanded sanded polished finish, then you could snad it pliosh it ifinsh

Can someone help me with the proper sanding grits to use to get a good sanded finish.

Howzit buzz, My sanding schedule is 80 grit to take down the laps, then 100 to 220 to 320,sometimes even to 400. Should do the trick. Take your time so you can avoid sand throughs and if you haven’t done much sanding I’d say hand sand your rails.Aloha,Kokua

Thanks Kokua. I am not polishing the finish, I want tht semi gloss effect do I need more that 400

Howzit buzz, You could take it to 600 grit and use the same piece of sand paper till it wears down and actually polishes, turn up you rpm’s also.Aloha,Kokua

Just finished my first glass job. I took the hot coat down to 320 grit and I’m pretty happy with the results. Are there any performance concerns with not getting it even smoother? I just stopped sanding and I could always go back and go over it with a higher grit. I did not plan on glossing this board but I can still do that as well but I don’t want to add any more weight.

What is the best way to do an acrylic finish? I don’t have a compressor, is there an aerosol?

Polycrylic in a spray can at your local Lowes or Home Depot

Careful with the spray-can acrylic laquer, some of the cheap stuff will turn yellow. Buy the best you can find.

I assume you want to do matte finish, that’s the norm. You can also 400 sand or scotchbrite after the spray

to get a nice finish with the ‘‘seal’’ of the spray.