Sanded finished, can I polish?

I think a pretty basic question, but can most boards with a sanded finish be polished?  

I’m pretty sure yes.  If so where do most sanded finishers leave off; final sanded with 320, 400? 

Thanks,

Herb 

Well I guess kinda technically you can put a polish on it but yeah not really. 

99% of sanded finish (poly) boards are finished with just a hotcoat which can be polished but it’s a softer resin. - most leave off at 320/400  

That is why there is gloss resin. 

If you attempt to polish an off the rack sanded finish board be prepared to deal with burn through. You’ll probably have quite a few. Both when sanding and when polishing . 

Also, please consider that ‘real’ gloss resin will have UV inhibitor that will keep your board whiter longer.  

Yes Herb you can polish a sanded hotcoat.  Just take some #2 Polish to it.  It’s not worth it to use compound or Meguiar’s etc.  #2 Fiberglass Polish will give it a Satin shine.  The polish will add some protection from dirt etc.   not optimal to do it this way, but in a pinch it’s OK.  Better to wipe it down and burnish it with a pad.  Adds an extra coat of protection.   Off course a coat of gloss resin and polish is even better.  Automotive sprayed clear coat like resinhead does is a very durable and a nice looking finish as well.  I’ve gotten to where I Gloss and polish the longboards and wipe on sanded finish everything else.  Lowel

Someone mentioned “burn thrus”.    The truth is that if you oversand a hotcoat or in general over work it by doing silly stuff like wet n dry, rubbing compound, polishing etc you will have all these lttle spots that will take on water if they are not sealed somehow.  I have a board down at the shop that has all kinds of rust looking spots all over it.  These spots are caused by water seepage.  Oversanding!

For what its worth you can get a fairly shiny finish on a board by wet sanding with 600.  The real issue for the OP is that his board is likely already sanded as far as it can be with the existing hot coat.  Proceed with caution.

Yuuup.

i am not an expert of shinny finish for sure, mat surfboards is my brand LOL. May be in your case, prep and whipe with acrylic sauce like McDing explain then light water sand with high grit and polish.

You are right Lemat.  A clear acrylic wiped on and burnished with a 3M pad is the best bet at this point.