Sanded finishes

Hi; how do you obtain a successful sanded finish? I mean, the smooth kind of satin finish.
If I sand the gloss starting with 220 then 320 and finish by hand with a block with 400 sanding straight and parallel to the stringer, I see a finish that I do not like it.
May be after the 320 would use a scotch purple pad attached to an orbital sander?
Thanks

This is difficult to answer because for everybody, a satin finish looks different and different sandpapers of difficult brands result in different shades.
I experienced too, that a dry 1000grit hand finish looks worse than a 400grit wet machine sanded, mainly because with hand sanding I get visible sanding lines, because I do not rotate as much than a machine. I use a sander, the angle grinding type, which rotates up to 2000rpm. I think an obital sander is something different, but I’m not a native english speaker…

Yes, an orbital sander is different than an angular sander or grinder but less aggressive may be to use it with the scotch pad?

I got some polishing paste from an auto body shop and use it after wet rubout with the finest grit. Brings up a bit of a shine in epoxy and takes out the fine scratches.