Sander/polisher

I have found a sander polisher at a Local panelbeater suppliers. The RPM is adjustable from 1000-3500 is this OK And what is the ideal RPM for a rotary sander. At the moment I use a random orbital it works ok but I am limited to the grits the they supply.

Thanks

Yeah, that’s a good rpm range - mine is 1000 to 3000.

Some models adjust as low as 600 but that’s pretty low. Any job needing that low of a speed would prob dictate that your orbital would be a better choice of tools.

Best,

Herb

yep perfect speed …

i brought 2 new sanders yesterday 600 to 3700 rpm…

59.00 each at wa salvage…includes backup pad,velcro lambswool buff,velcro sponge buff, velcro sanding discs,??? how the hell do they do it ???

just the buffing pads and backup discs would cost me more than that at my regular supplier…plus 1 year warranty???

and we complain about cheap asian imported boards ,imagine what the tool makers are thinking ,i bet there collectively working on a h bomb right now…

regards

BERT

“how the hell do they do it ???” Made in China. Keep it quiet though just now we get them bashing this thread too. I think I will go pick up my sander this evening. It had all the free bits too marked down from £100 to £40 its a bargin.

Bert,

I did a quick tally and that would prob be well over $250.00 worth of stuff from a major tool co.

In comparison - Boards would sell for 99 bucks or less…

You guys are lucky your tools seem to be a bit cheaper than here in the UK. $220 worth of stuff, I for one could not afford it. It would take too much from my materials budget. I was thinking of getting one of those 220-110v converters and then just ordering my tools from the US. I’ll probably do that when my new sander packs up. And I get one of those airs and flares clark planners.

get this while i was there , i couldnt help myself …

25.00 got me a belt sander…

11.00 got me a jigsaw …

11.00 got me an orbital sander…

165.00 got me 5 new power tools with all the fruit…

belt sander came with extra sanding belts plus an internal drive belt???

jigsaw came with 5 blades…

even the sander polishers came with spare brushes …

check out the pic…

all that for 165.00 still got an unopened one still in the case…

and some of the fruity bits have already been put away…

thats 115.00 US

or 66 pound…

thats crazy…

regards

BERT

Doc has proposed a new “Tool Review” section… I think it’s a good idea. Any comments?

Quote:

Doc has proposed a new “Tool Review” section… I think it’s a good idea. Any comments?

That is a great idea!

I just checked Harbor Freight and found an 11amp 1k-3k rpm sander/polisher for $25, geez loueeze -

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46507

Quote:

I just checked Harbor Freight and found an 11amp 1k-3k rpm sander/polisher for $25, geez loueeze -

Works great too…

Quote:
Quote:

Works great too…

Not clear on the the size of psa sanding disc paper it takes … ?

7"

5/8-11 TPI

Bert, you’ve been ripped off.

Orbital Sander at WA Salvage $9.95

Hicksy

The Harbor Freight is a good tool, I’ve got two but I only use them for buffers now. At the other end of the spectrum is the Festool Rotex ($800). Recently bought one; comes with a vacuum system, electronic motor-load compensation, no noise, and no dust. The load sensing allows rail sanding without any digging in. Pad selection is same as what you get with power pads. You could sand in the living room with this thing. If you hate sanding, the special room, and the mess, this is for you. Made nextdoor to Porsche in Stuttgart. Check it out at festoolusa.com

you can’t go wrong with the Festool Rotex. I think it is down to around $600 for the sander/vac combo… it is worth every penny for the dustless sanding. it acually makes sanding fun. after using one sanding a board is a joke without it. does you wife complane about the mess, she won’t with the rotex. sanding outside? shame on you, your a surfer you and should care about the enviorment. The 70’s are long over. Why use the same old tools when there are such vast improvements for relative little money? I hear so much bitching about surfboards that are made in China or wherever on this forum, well in my opinion making a surfboard with tools thare are made in China isn’t much better,

Hi

At $600 for a sander I have to decide do I want a blank to sand or just have a cool sander. I’d love one of those but hey I just dont have the cash. If I must choose between having a cool sander which I cant afford and as a result have to sand by hand or a cheapo made where ever then hey the cheapo it is. If I buy it local at least I am controbuting to someones livelyhood.

Cheers mate

Dear santa , for Festool I want a Christmas whadda trip thru google searchland you neva said sander and vacoome tooo as I understood and the pictures allowed me to move the sanding into the girls bathroom on weekends when schools out…and no balsa redwood itch …how go can you go …ambrose…and stepping through the door marked tool lust…

The Rotex isn’t for everybody. Yeah, it’s a lot of money and I don’t have tool lust. Since I use it for the repair biz, it paid for itself in a week or two. There’s alot of money to be saved in being able to sand anywhere; no sheds, special spaces, shop leases. In coastal SoCal where you’re shoulder-to-shoulder with your neighbors, this is important. The best tools (whether it’s a Rotex or a Skil) are alway expensive, and that will never change. If you build boards just for personal use, you should make your hobby pay for itself. Sell a few boards, do repairs, fix related tools, whatever. Not feeding your projects from your personal finances puts a different perspective on buying expensive items. Get the right tools and see where knowledge base from Swaylocks will take you.