Sander recommendations

Hey All,

I went to the archives but was confronted with 69 pages of info…so…

I’ve finally talked myself into getting a better sander than my trusty 1/3 sheet orbital sander, you know, one that goes around in circles…

Remembering I’m in Wozzieland, what are some of your recommendations.

Quote:

I went to the archives but was confronted with 69 pages of info…so…

All too common. The STA reply usually given is… well …nevermind.

I’ve finally talked myself into getting a better sander than my trusty 1/3 sheet orbital sander, you know, one that goes around in circles…

Remembering I’m in Wozzieland, what are some of your recommendations.

It depends on your equipment. If you have a good air compressor that puts out 10-12 cfm @ 90 psi, then get a DA with good pads. You’ll love it. (8-10 might work, but 10-12 is better.) If not, maybe a 1/4 sheet vibrating sander with a little bigger orbit? And there’s always the power pads with the finer grits.

I also suggest you check out detail sanders, as you guys do a lot of channels and tricky bits.

these things come pretty cheap and are excellent for shaping/sanding channels, cleaning up fin foils and getting gunk off your board aswell as anything else you can think off.

they arent great for sanding a whole board even though i find them good for it but for the price there really good.

they vibrate from side to side rather than spinning.

Hicksy , Try glenfords, Mine is a Makita that has a dial for variable speed and also the trigger does the same so The variable adjustment is really spot on , I think Ryobi or hitachi do one that is way cheaper than the makita. Try super cheap auto they also stock a cheap and nasty. Ask for a sander/ polisher .use glue on paper and the pads are available from shapers Australia, Lenny is cool and could probably set you up wiyh a sander.

I asked the same question to a few established (pro) board builders in Newy, all of them use a Hitachi SAT 180. I bought one myself and it is fantastic. Variable speed, never had a problem with it. Available in WOzzie too, about $180.

Hope this helps.

im using a bosch random orbital sander

been using it hardcore for about 5 years and its cool

the velcro does wear out in a year or so though

i just use spray contact adhesive to stick on a disk untill i buy a new velcro base or maybe contact on some new velcro

one of boschs better designs… oherwise i get makita or better

…one of the best is a Makita multispeed 7" angular sander/polisher…with this one you do everything fast and accurate…

Dunno much about where to buy stuff in Oz, but since you use epoxy make sure whatever you buy can go sloooooow.

Jeez, Hicksy, I never quite realised how many choices we have here in the States for tools. 220/240V isn’t nearly as common, I fear.

In the meantime… you might want to have a look at http://www.walkershardware.com.au/shop/walkershardware/25610207.html - Ryobis tend to be annoying tools, but they either die or hold up well. And that one’s cheap…

http://www.hitachi-powertools.com.au/branch/wa.htm might be of use. As might http://www.justtools.com.au/

I note that while there are some ‘milwaukee’ sanders sold in Australia, I believe they are rebadged AEG stuff. Might actually be better tools, who knows, I haven’t played with them any.

Sorry not to be of more help

doc…

I’ll second the recommendation on the 6" Bosch random orbit. The dust collection feature is a big plus for me. Hook it up to the Shop Vac and you will have very little dust left over. I don’t think dust collection is an option on the larger sander/polishers, except perhaps at the high dollar level. My usage is primarily ding repair and the occasional full sand job. For serious sanding, you may find the random orbit too slow.