Sanding the lap??

Sorry for such the noob and extremly green question, but I just can’t seem to find the info. On all the info read and all the glasing/sanding vids I’ve watched this always seems to be missed out.

From what I have seen some sand the lap on the bottom from laminating back to flush (or near) before the hot coat, and yet some I have noticed don’t sand the lap and just go straight to hot coat then sanding. Wouldn’t that leave cloth weave in your sanding finish?

Is there a preferred method or issues/ pluses with either method?

Would be stoked on any info, intel or links you could possibly offers.

Cheers

Lam the bottom and lap the rail up onto the deck.  Grind or sand the lap at the deck.  Lam the deck. Hot coat the deck.  Tape the rail and hot coat the bottom. Sand it ALL.  End of story.

OK, so don’t sand the lap on the bottom prior to hot coat??

When you hotcoat the deck,  take it over the rails and catch the lap.  Then when you flip it, tape off at mid rail, feather the lap. Then scuff it down to the tape line.  Hotcoat.  I like to feather the lap down so I can put on the thinnest hotcoat I can get away with.  And the rail now has 2 nice thin coats on them.  Some people don’t worry about it and it does add a step, but I’m silly that way.

It’s OK if you sand the deck lap at the bottom before hotcoat, but not necessary.  If you get a nice tight lap you can proceed with the hotcoat and then take the lap down when you sand the hotcoat.  Use tape along mid rail when you hotcoat the bottom.  Sanding resin doesn’t stick to sanding resin. 

Hi Kingphin-

If you want to insure you won’t see the weave on the bottom you should grind that bottom lap.  In addition, you can grind the Future Boxes (if you have them) at this time.  Then be sure to re-tape the boxes before hot coat.

Hope this helps-

Brad

Hi Kingphin-

If you want to insure you won’t see the weave on the bottom you should grind that bottom lap.  In addition, you can grind the Future Boxes (if you have them) at this time.  Then be sure to re-tape the boxes before hot coat.

Hope this helps-

Brad

Too good, thanks crew. That’s the good oil I was after. Appreciated.