Saving the rails

Hi there,

I just finished my second glass and I mess up a little bit with the lap. I wraped them and there were some dryed area that I didnt see causing my black painted rails coming out with air. I though that it would have gone with the lamination of the deck but it is still there and the rail arent super sexy. I want to save them and was thinking of hotcoating and doing them again with resin tint. Is it possible? I was thinking of doing the same process than during the hoatcoat, masking the middle of the rail and doing the other side.

Do you think it’s a good idea?

Olivier

Can you post pics??

Yes you can put pigment in your hotcoat resin and cover what you don’t like looking at in the lamination. 

Just be careful when sanding to not burn through or it will look patchy.

Thanks Brian,

Actually I was super impatient and I didnt wait for your answer so I did it. It’s not perfect because indeed I burn trough the black pigment at some spots but nothing really bad and I’m happy with the result.

Thanks for the advices!!

I wanted a leash loop and was wondering if we could see a logo behind it. The answer is no. Ahah. Anyway, still happy and I learn a lot for my first glass. 

I wanted a leash loop and was wondering if we could see a logo behind it. The answer is no. Ahah. Anyway, still happy and I learn a lot for my first glass. 

Next time this happens, try doing your usual clear hot-coat, sand, THEN brush a heavily black pigmented gloss where you want to hide something. This will be very lightly sanded with 400 to 600 grit and polished. This is what you get:

Yeah, the thing is that it is a board for a friend and he wanted the rail black. Under my black rail hot coat you cant see it but the rails were already painted in black. 

Very nice by the way Balsa. Tu es au Pays Basque d’apres ce que j’ai compris. Je suis dans les Landes, à Contis.

Thanks for the advices!

Tout à fait. Guéthary, plus précisément. Guéthary Surfboards. Original, non?