Scent: poly vs epoxy

Aloha,

Recently moved into a condo complex, built a couple boards and got the inevitable complaint from a neighbor over the poly scent coming from my garage (luckily after the hot coats were done). I’ve never used epoxy as I was never a fan of how they felt. Recently I’ve been considering building with a pu blank and epoxy resin. My question is, how much less noticeable will it be using epoxy?

I think I read somewhere that VOCs from poly are 50x higher than epoxy.

Any experience or stories about neighbors is appreciated.

Jah bless

Welcome Bobsled!
Epoxy is virtually scentless BUT that doesn’t mean that there are no VOC’s. Make sure you still wear a mask and try and limit exposure for your neighbours. They basically shouldn’t be able to smell anything however. Try not to get any on your skin either. Not only will you start to like the almost lack of smell you may start to enjoy the longer working time too?

3 Likes

Still a (noticeable) odor in my garage when I glassed w/ epoxy - doesn’t stink up the whole house like PE but def noticeable when walking through the garage until full cure. Not obnoxious and not as foul/offensive as a JB Weld epoxy but it’s still noticeable. Longer working time may be more helpful for LBs and eggs/midlengths but a different beast altogether.

Tout a fait d’accord avec vous concernant l’odeur. l’idéal pour moi est de stratifier avec de l’epoxy un pain PU puis faire les coats en poly.
Après c’est surtout le prix de l’époxy en France qui me fait travailler en poly…