Sea Ski Surfboard

Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me on the history of Sea Ski surfboards. I picked up a vintage Sea Ski surfboard today. Its a 6' 6" swallow tail. On the stringer is the number 0008 and a name. The first name is pretty hard to make out but the last name is Shultz. Just wondering who owned the company and whom the shapers were. Looks to be an early 70's design. Sure would appreciate any info. Thanks.

Howzit Jim, He may have moved to Hawaii and possibly Kauai but I never heard about hi being there  so he may have been on a different side of the island than Hanalei. I do remember him fro HB before I moved to Oahu in 70. Aloha,Kokua

naw. ventucky high. he was the consumate 70's surfer/snow skier. don't know if he still skies or not, but he's always out in the water gettin' his share of good waves....

a bit of info here:

http://carlhayward.com/

I am in the same position. I have a Sea Ski single fin, swallow tail, 6'6" that I picked up about 15 years ago at a garage sale and have never been able to find out any info on it. What part of the country are you in? Have you found any info since your last post?

Thanks,

Dave

It was a really long time ago, so don’t beat on me if I’m wrong, but I saw Sea Ski’s at Simo’s shop in NJ and from what I think I thought,  Steve Walden built them, the label said, Ca. and Kauai ?

that was a lot of acid ago

Howzit Jim, Just what years are we talkig about I never heard of them but since Kauai was mentioned it got my attention, and I am trying to figure why Kauai would be on the label. Aloha,Kokua

If Steve Walden is out there lurking, maybe he can chime in, but it would have been around 73-74 and I had heard Steve had moved to the islands at that time ?

The boards had wings , small twin side fins and a center box, hence, Sea Wing ?

So here’s what I found after about an hour of searching on the web:

Carl Hayward - "Carl had a pretty good set of hands, too. He went to work for Pacific Surfboards, Dyno, and Sea Ski. Then he was running the Sea Ski factory." (from the web page this is Huntington)

Re: http://carlhayward.com/

And

Steve Walden & Ron Lingenfelter - "that (knee) board would have been shaped by Ron Lingenfelter who took over SeaSki from Steve Walden about 1974. I had one, same template, single wing twin keel, one of the best boards I've ever had. You may be able to contact Ron through the Waterman's guild." www.watermansguild.com

Pictures of knee board in question: http://s781.photobucket.com/albums/yy99/LukePipetalker/

Tom Linn – says he "rode for Sea Ski in the 70’s."

Re: http://www.ksusa.org/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=5124&view=next&sid=d7161c70877ce6cffd343eaeae3e48e9

I sent an email over to waterman’s guild to see if I can get any more info from Ron. Waiting to hear back.

Ahhhhh, I didn’t destroy all my brain cells, Steve Walden did have a connection to Sea Ski’s, also the first boards I saw with wings, but not the first with tri fins, in '68 while shaping for Bahne and Channin/Diffenderfer I did V-bottom’s with removable side fins.

if memory serves me right at that time one of our high school teachers-who know rides walden's- was a sea ski team rider/rep. good ol' mr. deitz

if memory serves me right at that time one of our high school teachers-who know rides walden’s- was a sea ski team rider/rep. good ol’ mr. deitz

Marina High School in HB?

SEA SKI  (73 - 74)  Steve Walden’s 5th Street Shop down town HB. Steve Reel worked at the retail on 5th street as a salesman. Jerry Maling was one of the team riders. At the time the boards worked really well. Ron L. can be found at the HB Pier hanging around the parking lot crew. Carl Hayward was one of the better shapers of the era.

Ron Lingenfelter is my dad and we both work at Watermans guild together building boards and if you guys have any questions about sea skis or want to restore some old classics feel free to contact us through here or Watermans guild!!! I was searching the Internet for some of my dads old shapes and was really happy to come across this!! 

welcome to Swaylocks Reid!  always good to see second-generation board makers…  hey if you have time post up a pic or two of your boards, dad’s boards, yourself & dad surfing or shaping, whatever! 

I recently acquired a Sea Ski in fantastic condition. Before using the board, I wanted to see if this is a collectable. Any info would be appreciated.

[[{“fid”:“110243”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]