Section-connectors

"Skip Frye on an 11 foot surfboard: “The biggest buzz I ever had in surfing was the early '90s when I went back to the big ones,” he recalls. “I mean the 11-footers. The same thing happened to Duke [Kahanamoku] when Tom Blake reintroduced him to the 16-foot olos back in the '30s. I was riding through one break, through the channel and into the next break.” – Tony Lum on a 3-6" inflatable surfmat: "This was the first time I took the mat out in some stronger surf. I couldn't believe the speed and distance it could cover! I was traveling so far and fast that I was regularly crossing the channel between peaks!" Hey... whats going on here? Dale

"Skip Frye on an 11 foot surfboard:>>> “The biggest buzz I ever had in surfing was the early '90s when I > went back to the big ones,” he recalls. “I mean the 11-footers. > The same thing happened to Duke [Kahanamoku] when Tom Blake reintroduced > him to the 16-foot olos back in the '30s.>>> I was riding through one break, through the channel and into the next > break.”>>> -->>> Tony Lum on a 3-6" inflatable surfmat:>>> "This was the first time I took the mat out in some stronger surf. I > couldn't believe the speed and distance it could cover!>>> I was traveling so far and fast that I was regularly crossing the channel > between peaks!">>> Hey... whats going on here?>>> Dale Andy Newman had his Frye out at Rincon last night (4 people out, don’t tell anyone). It was a joy to watch him connect the lines from outside to the cove w/ grace . I’d guess , he’s been doing that as long as Frye. To my disappointment, no surf mats were in sight. You better make a road trip, bring Bonta!

Andy Newman had his Frye out at Rincon last night (4 people out, don’t > tell anyone). It was a joy to watch him connect the lines from outside to > the cove w/ grace . I’d guess , he’s been doing that as long as Frye. To > my disappointment, no surf mats were in sight. You better make a road > trip, bring Bonta! easternpacific, Hey, it would sure be nice if I could (I`ve never been south of Santa Cruz)… but, some of the most skilled watermen anywhere ride my surfcraft throughout the general Santa Barbara/Hollister Ranch area. Earlier this last winter, when the swells were pumping for several weeks, there were many great waves ridden at Rincon and neighboring spots by mat surfers such as Kenny Hughes and Dirk Brandts. At times, it was difficult to keep up with the incoming feedback! Bonta? I finally had to send him on an extended road trip… sometimes cartoon characters start to take on a life of their own! I can assure you that no matter what, Bonta will always believe the best rides are always about the glide. Dale

section connectors – what grace skill beauty and the right watercraft it must take to accomplish such a feat

Andy Newman had his Frye out at Rincon last night (4 people out, don’t > tell anyone). It was a joy to watch him connect the lines from outside to > the cove w/ grace . I’d guess , he’s been doing that as long as Frye. To > my disappointment, no surf mats were in sight. You better make a road > trip, bring Bonta! easternpacific, In context, Tony was referring to a Hawaiian, solid 4 to 8 foot swell, with onshore bump. Dale

I’ve never had the chance to ride an 11-footer, but it seems like both types of section-connectors are prime examples of, “less equals more,” when looking at the amount of energy expended by the rider. Economy of motion and effort seem to be the keys to unlocking higher speeds and increased distances. It’s interesting to compare this approach to the way we “build” speed on other boards, like the fish or thruster. There’s so many ways to get from point A to B. And they’re all so fun! The thing that always gets me about the surfmat is how such a tiny bubble of air can achieve, seemingly, unlimited amounts of speed. And it feels like it’s doing it all on it’s own!

easternpacific,>>> In context, Tony was referring to a Hawaiian, solid 4 to 8 foot swell, > with onshore bump.>>> Dale Tony? I must have missed something.

Tony? I must have missed something. easternpacific, “Tony Lum on a 3`-6” inflatable surfmat: “This was the first time I took the mat out in some stronger surf. I couldn’t believe the speed and distance it could cover! I was traveling so far and fast that I was regularly crossing the channel between peaks!”

easternpacific,>>> “Tony Lum on a 3`-6” inflatable surfmat:>>> “This was the first time I took the mat out in some stronger surf. I > couldn’t believe the speed and distance it could cover!>>> I was traveling so far and fast that I was regularly crossing the channel > between peaks!” It sounds like the ultimate surf / travel vehicle. I’m saving my money. I’ll contact you when TAX anxiety subsides. Your the man!

It sounds like the ultimate surf / travel vehicle. I’m saving my money. > I’ll contact you when TAX anxiety subsides. Your the man! Thank you, easternpacific! You`re from the Santa Cruz area? As a local reference to high performance mat riders, this waterman is a very fine professional composer/musician and is truly “The Man”, Martin Headman: http://www.martinheadman.com