Seeking Bottom Contour suggestions...

Hi All,

Getting ready to turn the rails and refine the bottom contour for this 5’10" x 15.75"N x 20.25" x 15.25"T x 2.5" stubby round tail. Nose rocker is 4.5" and tail is 2". Going to put in 5 boxes but ride it primarily as a quad.

I’m looking for some suggestions on concave/bottom contours. Intended to ride it in waist-head high Jersey surf. It’s a US 6’0"R blank so it already has a mild single through the middle. Debating adding some double and/or vee through the back end. I want the board to be fast and maneuverable (who doesn’t?).

Thanks for any feedback…

[img_assist|nid=1072719|title=5'10" Round Stub|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=506|height=670]

75 looks and nuthin? Bueller?

Anyway, I am going for a Hypto Krypto or Dwart type of feel. HK does single to double with vee in the double. Some similar boards go without vee and go flat out the back. I understand the logic behind singles (flattening the rocker through the apex), but I have always been a bit fuzzy on doubles, especially after reading all the diverse opinion on the threads here.

I’m a big fan of single concave to v in our surf.

Thanks Mako. Just did a little v in the tail with a little double running through the back third of the single. Looks nice anyway. We’ll see how it goes…if we ever get waves again.

Hey Jamie this isn’t criticismm in any way (and I’m deffinitly not a guru), but in Bill Barnfield’s shaping rail band thread (or other posts by Bill) Bill describes his way of shaping as thicknessing the board from the bottom first (because you have a blank with a matching deck rocker for your design and won’t be taking much off the deck).  At that stage he’ll cut the concaves and bottom contours, the bottom rail line rocker is set and then cut the primary bottom rail band.  The line from the primary bottom rail band will let you see the foil that will roll into the deck.  

Someone like Reverb, Ghetto…ect correct me if I’m wrong but this is the method that I use and I think its the go?

Anyway you should think about what bottom contours you want in your board before you start shaping.  EG, you’ve finished the deck and deck bands are gone which makes it difficult to see contour lines.  If you now put Vee in the tail you will change the bottom rail rocker in the back third and maybe your tail (at the rail) is now too thin.  Whether you want a single or double, or a double inside a single concave all have different variations of where the rail rocker and centerline rocker needs to be which in turn changes the thickness flow of your board.  I think you have less control over this if you’re doing it at the end.

Also with Bills method you waste less time constantly flipping the board over, doing a little bit here, a little bit there, slowly withering away till the Shizzles all wonky.

If it’s for super guttles surf you could do a Single the whole way to get up and go on shit waves, if the waves are of a bit more quality single to double is good.  If you mostly surf crappy beach breaks it’s hard to tell the difference I reckon untill you get the board on a decent reef or point break.

I like to think (hand) shaping a surfboard is like going for a drive somewhere new, if you have no pre planned map or directions for where you’re going, you will probably end up in a crap place. 

Also single concaves don’t flatten the middle of your rocker, you only think that way cause when you hand shape you cut it in from another rocker curve (the rail line curve).  It’s the rail line rocker that is changing.  You can have 3 boards with a single concave, a single to double, a Vee-flat-single-double…what ever, they can all have the same bottom rocker line, it’s the rail line that changes.

In thinking about what bottom contour you want at the end of shaping your surfboard you have less control over rocker, foil, and thickness.  You’re offroad road driving with no map.

Ok sorry mate, it just looked like the deck was finished and you said you were going to turn the rails.

I’m all ears and open to criticism, pull apart my logic but if you think about the shaping process in 3d or play around with shape3d or board cad you’ll see…

How do you make 3 boards with the same deck and bottom rocker, the same thickness foil, which all have different levels of concave, single double vee ect ect?

How do you keep your favorite deck and bottom rocker the same whilst trying different bottom contours to figure out for yourself what they actually do?  Instead of being confused at the end of shaping a board and taking a stab at which one to go with?  

The bottom rail line rocker is the only thing that can change!!

All I had done was the outline and rough foil. Hadn’t done any banding, top or bottom, before finishing up the bottom contour. So yes, I agree you need to do the bottom contours before you start banding.

Although you have me pretty baffled saying single concaves don’t flatten the middle of your rocker. That seems to contradict everything I have read here, elsewhere, and just plain logic.

Surfboard design is pretty complicated, most people don’t know what they are talking about, I’m still probably one of them but I’m doing my best to figure it out…

I think alot of it has to do with how you blend your curves…

You can have exact rocker alignment for a good section of your board if that’s what you want.  At times and places I do, and at others I don’t.

Starting from the bottom is good.

Regarding single concaves and effect on rocker, maybe you were thinking about a single concave all the way from nose to tail? In that case, true, you are not changing the rocker assuming you go equal depth the whole way. I am talking about more commonly used single concave through the belly of the board only, which is done to effectlively flatten the rocker through that area. Does that make sense?

One thing I found out about running single concaves all the way through is that those boards do seem to require a couple extra strokes to get in, which reduces your margin of error for your transition.    Singles seem to appeal more to bigger guys who have the leverage to work them.  

Simple bottom contours work in day-to-day conditions, too.  Flat with just a touch of vee in the tail, tucked rail with an edge all the way up.  Plane when you want, release when you want.  You gotta surf those more off your rear foot, though.  If you’re using a narrow tail you can run a little concave through the vee panel to generate some more lift.  

To me, it doesn’t makes sense.  You are imagining your board which you’ve rough shaped to 2.5’’ thick then cut 0.25’’ out of the center of the board for the concave to end up at your desired 2.25’’ thick (deep concave, just an example), hense flattening the rocker.

But when you start with a fresh (pu) blank you can have what ever bottom contour you want.  Bottom rocker will largley be determind from the deck rocker and thickness flow of the board, unless you are largley changing the deck rocker in which case you compromise the deck skin by cutting too deep (pu).

Imagine someone comes to you and asks for two identical boards to figure out the difference of bottom contours.  Both boards are to have the same centerline thickness foil one with a single the whole way and one with a single to double with vee.  You buy two blanks with identical deck rocker glued in.

Will you change the bottom rail rocker? Keeping both the deck and the bottom line rocker the same for identical boards? or

Will you change the thickness flow of the board? Will you change the bottom line rocker (which changes the thickness foil)? Will you change and compromise the deck skin by changing the deck rocker?  All three of these options change the deck and bottom rockers ending up with different boards, the experiment for the customer to learn from is ruined.

You have the center line rocker and rail line rocker…think about it…

One board, same centerline rockers, two different bottom contours at 12’’ up.  Think it, Feel it, Do it!!

I’m not quite sure what we are arguing about. But I’ll try to articulate my point about singles flattening the stringerline rocker relative to a flat bottom.

When I cut a single concave from a flat bottom, I start at zero depth with the planer about 12-18 inches from the nose, running straight down the stringerline. I increase depth as I get toward the apex of the rocker, and zero back out at about 12 inches from the tail. Then I’ll work outward towards each rail making upward “steps” to create the rough concave. Then I “diagonal block” (thanks Mike D) the steps to create a smooth curve, and finally use a softer sanding pad to smoooth everything out. From what I gather, this is pretty standard operating procedure in hand-shaping single concaves. In this case, I haven’t touched the rail-line rockers on either side of the board. I have only scooped foam out of the belly of the board. So my centerline rocker is flatter than my rail-line rockers.

With respect to your scenario above (making identical boards but one with single and one with single/double/vee), I would shape the singles identically in both boards. Then, on the one with double/vee, I would plane each double on either side of the stringer, then block and smooth out each of the doubles. So this is a double inside the single, which is pretty common and I think the best way to get a smooth transition between single and double. Then I would hard-block the tail to create the V. Alternatively you could do the Vee first and put the doubles in the V. Regardless, in this process of adding the double/vee I would never touch the stringer. So my stringer line is identical for both the single concave and the single/double/vee. The only thing that changes on the SDV is the rail rocker line which is relatively higher in the tail due to removing material in the rails for the vee.

I started this whole thread just to get some feedback on the difference between single to vee and single to double and/or single to double to vee. Singles always made sense to me. Vee I get that it increases tail rocker along the rail-line to make a board easier to go rail to rail and turn a tighter radius. The logic behind doubles is still fuzzy to me.

We’re talking about the same process above.  What I was getting at is that a single concave doesn’t ‘flatten’ out a rocker, the rocker is predetermind in your design, it’s the rail line rocker that is changing. You can have a 90’s Greg Webber banana rockered board with 0.25’’ of concave, she’s not flat!!

And I mistakenly jumped into your thread because it looked/sounded like you had finished the top before starting/finishing the bottom, sorry to cause confusion.

This is probably an ancient thread that I’ve stumbled upon but the statement about single concave not flattening or straightening your rocker and only the rail rocker changes is completely wrong.

The method that Bill (Barnfield) and the vast majority of established shapers use was particularly influenced by Bill’s creation of ‘the rocker stick’ and how we used the straight edge along the bottom to measure and quantify bottom curves whether it be staged or continuous bottom rocker lines. Use of a rocker stick, using center of the bottom as a starting point, gave us a common language that we could and can consistently reference to.

If you take nose & tail rocker measurements using a rocker stick before shaping in single midship concave, then remeasure after doing so, you will invariably note a flattening of the rocker at nose and tail. Or to put it more correctly, those measurements are still the same as they were before shaping concave into or near the center, but the relationship of those curves has now changed due to the changing of the curve thru the center of the board. IOW, if you scribed the bottom rocker before you added the concave, then used the changed center stringer rocker as a comparison, they now relate differently to the nose & tail rockers.

The addition of the concave or concaves. also has a relationship with the finished foil of the board. It helps to envision the entire board as having what Bill once described as “lines in space” and how those lines interact with one another and as a whole.

Surfboards are comprised of ‘compound curves’ and, for many of us, it is the challenge of successfully combining all those beautiful curves that keeps us addicted to shaping.

The vast majority of shapers feel that deck rocker is a result of bottom rocker. I don’t agree with that and I have heard vehement arguments that because we shape the bottom first, the decks are just a consequence of what we do to what many feel is the most important part of the surfboard.

The majority of shapers will cite bottom curve as the ultimate line that is traveling thru the water. I would agree, but only to a certain extent, because as a surfboard designer, if I only look at it that way, I will be heavily compromised in creating rides that are fresh and different. Deck rocker is important because its relationship to bottom rocker creates the foil of a surfboard.

A surfboard is a foil and has draft as it moves thru air and water. Deck rocker affects the ride significantly to a surfboard and it is incorrect to hold the supposition that all surfboards with the same bottom rocker curve will ride exactly the same regardless of its deck rocker. If this were the case, a step decked longboard would not ride differently than one w/o the thinned step deck, nor a Surfski with it’s very thick tail.

When you understand then master creating foils, you can create different balance points for a design that gives the board more lift in one area and more or less resistance in another area. Foil and draft, lift and resistance all contribute heavily as to what a surfboard will ultimately do.

Finally, as far as your gut feeling to try a “Hypto Krypto” type bottom, I would agree that’s a good example to follow. Hayden’s bottom design is very similar to what i put into my first Fountain of Youth models nearly 30 years ago. I still use that combination of contours in some of my boards today, and guys riding them describe it as a hot knife slicing thru a stick of butter. Here’s a “Rincon sled” I just finished for a buddy that opted for an 8’0" to help him compete in the lineup. It has the bottom formula I mentioned previously.

Keep on shaping!
BF

Bruce - that is a very cool 8 footer!!!