Semi rigid boards (Pendleboard)

I’ll never be able to make this. Truth is, I’ll even consider one of these, I’m so desperate to get on public transport. They don’t make a shortboard though and this one weighs a ton. Shame, they’ve probably got a patent on it. 

[[{“fid”:“111817”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]

Nice board bag.

What am I looking at???

Here ya go Huck

http://pendleboard.com/en/home/#shopwind

The Pendleboard is the first of its kind, a new generation of Paddle and Windsurf Boards that combines a fiberglass / EPS Tail 3’6″ long and an inflatable nose section.

Interesting.  What do they cost?

[quote=McDing]

Interesting.  What do they cost?

[/quote]

The earth and self respect. 

But I’m willing to pay the price. 

This one’s a SUP so it’s like… layers of embarrassment. 

The 7’6" is ~$1000. They only do SUP. 

Jago, I did some hard body inflatable surf mats a few years ago. I tried an EPS perimeter with inflatable centre and hard deck with inflatable hull. 

You could buy an old inflatable SUP and add the tail but I think you might need to get away from the ‘dropstitch’ construction as that’s complex and look at a HWS frame with an inflatable sleeve. It needs a bit of creative brain work but it’s possible to make it happen. What length or volume are you after ?

I decided it’s way too difficult for me to do. Great to hear from someone who got further along in the process :slight_smile:

I think mid-length is best seeing as carrying another board is not an option. 

Dropstitch is a game changer for durability but if the tail is normal anyway that’s no loss. 

I love your investigation into flexible bottoms (!)

My goal is portability and as far as I can see that means flexible rails to get the thing into a smaller bag. 

What volume and length? Maybe ~7-8’, 45-50L. 

I have an old iSUP. Could such a thing really be cut up and re-glued/bonded into a smaller shape?! Is there a better way?

edit: A search for DIY inflatable speedboat yielded some interesting stuff: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdnn9DM0XOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqQfMPi7y_8

[quote=Surffoils]

Jago, I did some hard body inflatable surf mats a few years ago. I tried an EPS perimeter with inflatable centre and hard deck with inflatable hull. 

You could buy an old inflatable SUP and add the tail but I think you might need to get away from the ‘dropstitch’ construction as that’s complex and look at a HWS frame with an inflatable sleeve. It needs a bit of creative brain work but it’s possible to make it happen. What length or volume are you after ?

[/quote]

What about those bi-sect and tri-sect travel boards that break apart into sections, have you looked into those?

There is a commercial version, the Pope Bi-sect, also some homebuilt stuff has shown up here over the past 10 years.  Do a search, here and on Google, for “bi-sect travel surfboard” or “pope bi-sect surfboard” or “walden tri-sect surfboard”.

Thanks Huck. Yep, I’ve owned a couple. Lightest was 5kg. I guess it’s a better design but not that easy to pull off? But then… maybe neither is this Pendle thing

I don’t have a way to make nor buy one at the moment. Sold my last worn out mini simmons off on the way back from a trip. Would have to fly somewhere to get a new one. Don’t know where though as there doesn’t seem to be anywhere consistently selling them and of course then options are limited. Would be great to have a kit for them available. 

So I am  assuming this is a “Pendarvis” (sp) idea?

Guarantee that’s a no.

Pendo’s a one man operation who lives in the Point Loma area and keeps a very low profile. His boards have flex tails.

These boards are out of the UK and have “hardtails”

Yeah I know his history and that he lives in Pt. Loma.  So what you are saying is that you don’t think it’s one of his ideas?  Thought it might have been a play on his name.