Serious problem..... having a bad reaction to epoxy/fiberglass

I hope you turn out getting better and well soon, bro, but this is a very important thread you have started, and should probably be added to the Resources section or something. Your case got my attention.

Doctor prescribed me Prednisone pills and im taking them with benadryl for the next 5 days. hopefully things will settle down. but that still leaves me with an unfinished board… i dont want this to ever happen again, so i will not touch my board or anything related to it until im better. i need to find out a way to completely seal myself off from the fiberglass and epoxy so i can finish it without getting sick again.

im starting to think that what affected me were the fiberglass particles in the air while i was sanding a bit. i had gotten epoxy on me before during the laminate coat, but the rash started once i started sanding stuff, ie. the fins. so my guess is that im probably reacting to the fiberglass, not the epoxy. any thoughts?

On the link of a thread that is running right now,“Wave Ski Construction by JohnMellor” the link that shows the pictures of the wave ski, butt board building process, that builder says the sanding dust remains epoxy toxic until full cure, maybe 7 days.

Why not go over to pu/pe? It might seem a step backwards but that sounds like a nasty reaction. It’s possible that the next time it happens it’ll be worse too.

im thinking maybe polyester would be a smart switch if im allergic to the epoxy mixed with fiberglass dust, but isnt pe even more toxic though? and also im using EPS foam to make my blanks which would not work with the pe resin.

i like the sound of uv cure resin though.

how can i seal myself completely? i bought a paint suit and a cloth hood, as well as paint booties, but the suit seems like it isn’t very good at keeping fine particles out. it breaths too well.

I guess neither resins are perfect. What you’ve got sounds like an allergic reaction rather than poisoning from a toxic compound, this isn’t related to toxicity, the fact antihistamines are working reinforces this. It may be the uncatalysed epoxy monomer or an additive. I assume your shaping as a hobby? If it was me i’d go for pu/pe rather than antihistamines next time. I suppose there’s a risk the additive might be common to both resins though?

Oh, did you buy a cotton one? see if you can find some of those disposable tyvek ones…

Polyester is bad in different ways, the fumes are horrible, and getting it on you is not good either…I think the effects are more cumulative with polyester, whereas epoxy seems to switch on…The rashes and a possible respiratory attack are what you have to deal with when using epoxy, polyester (styrene) will just fry your brain and liver slowly over time…but both are fine if you work safe…

I’d say get some Resin Research epoxy and try that before you rule epoxy out…but get rid of the stuff that rashed you up.

hmm yeah i must have got a cotten one. i need the sealed kind then.

keep the cotton one, and wear it under the tyvek for comfort and perspiration. Just watch the heat exhaustion and dehydration :slight_smile: double-glove, with the inside pair taped to the suit at the wrists. see if you can find some barrier cream, or just use heavy moisturizer, on your arms and face–with the suit on, the only place exposed will be your face and chin, around your respirator. the cream will seal your pores and prevent glass fibers from getting in…sounds like an ordeal, but you’ll get used to it.

bummer this happened, but I think with adequate prep, you can still use epoxy. I don’t suppose you can trick one of your friends into sanding this one for you, is there? make it sound glamorous…

do you think that the main reason i got this allergy was from sanding the fiberglass? i was completely fine for the weeks after i laminated, no rash or anything, and i got a bit of epoxy on my skin that time. but the rash only started to show up after i started to sand some spots that needed sanding. not a ton of sanding but i did feel some fiberglass particles get into my pours on my hands. would i be ok if sealed myself up to finish the hot coat? i dont plan on doing any more sanding. i think i will wait till the rash goes away, then i’ll finish the hot coat, and then i’ll leave it at that.

Im really glad you are taking this seriously… I worked with a guy who had a heart attack from over exposure to epoxy.

Despite what a lot of people claim (that its not as bad as polyester) it is, in some ways, a lot worse. Its an acumulative compound meaning that it can enter your system but not fully leave and over time it builds up to a critical toxicity so that even a small amount of contact can produce a very violent reaction (toxic shock).

if I were in your shoes Id buy a respirator, a full body dust suit and some fore-arm lenght rubber gloves. Put the dust suit on then the gloves over the top, seal the glove cuffs with masking tape and don the respirator - before going near the board.

Set up an extraction system of some kind or sand outside with a pedestal fan blowing over your shoulder from behind you. or better yet sand it all wet over a disposable drop sheet - no dust.

Do absolutely everything you can to avoid contact. If you are sensitive it can turn nasty very quickly and seemingly out of nowhere.

If you are not sure about it take your board someplace and ask them to finish it for you?

not worth risking your health over…

S.

I had a similar reaction one time about a year ago…Your suspicions are probabaly correct about the sanding…

I was glassing a board for a friend and we were sanding the top lap. We had used 6 oz cloth which is a little coarse…

Like and idiot, it was summer so NO SHIRT, I proceded to imbed glass fiber in my stomach area. Talk about miserable!

SAme reaction you are having…Took 3 days to get better.

Now when I sand laps I have the exhaust fan drawing and wear adequate coverage…I dont always wear gloves but I feel the prickle of fibers between my fingers sometimes.

When sanding the seal coat I seldom have any reaction anymore because I am careful about not hittin the weave…I am very careful when opening up the future boxes…some glass there.

I have a VERY good respirator and wear it even when glassing…The additive F has some bad fumes (xylene) so be careful with that.

I posted earlier that I used baby powder liberally around my neck, hands and forearms before sanding …this works good…

Lately I don’t even use the powder anymore…just more aware of what I am doing and avoud the dust…

I don’t seem to get the reaction anymore I had that one time…

But I tell ya when you get it bad it will definitely make an impression on ya!

Good luck…

Take precautions and be safe…

thanks a lot guys. i will be sure to take all the necessary precautions once im better and i can finish the last stage of my board. its really close to being done.

the medication seems to be helping too. hopefully things will clear up within the next few days. luckily im on vacation now and i dont have to face everyone with a massive swelling on my neck and red, bumpy forearms/knees… haha again, thanks for the help.

p.e. is more toxic in theory but much more easily handled. . . poly requires nylon surgical gloves while if you use that for epox it slowly penetrates. . . a glasser i know is an industry regular and has been for years. . . constant contact with p.e. was regular for him. . . he glassed an epox and felt ill even tho he took the precautions. . . . the next time he worked with epox. . . .he went to the hospital… . . at least the p.e. is predictable… . .

We used to smother ourselves with baby powder back in the 70’s to fill the skin pores. Maybe you could try that before you suit up. Try to work in a cool room if you wear a suit or you’re going to over heat.

stories like this are what make me really nervous about going back and trying to work with epoxy again on my nearly finished board… i dont want anything serious like this to happen…

Quote:

p.e. is more toxic in theory but much more easily handled. . . poly requires nylon surgical gloves while if you use that for epox it slowly penetrates. . . a glasser i know is an industry regular and has been for years. . . constant contact with p.e. was regular for him. . . he glassed an epox and felt ill even tho he took the precautions. . . . the next time he worked with epox. . . .he went to the hospital… . . at least the p.e. is predictable… . .

Quote:

Despite what a lot of people claim (that its not as bad as polyester) it is, in some ways, a lot worse. Its an acumulative compound meaning that it can enter your system but not fully leave and over time it builds up to a critical toxicity so that even a small amount of contact can produce a very violent reaction (toxic shock).

Epoxy is definitely NOT an accumulative compound. Your immune system can be sensitized to it.

Think of it like “poison ivy”. Once you get exposed once, you are more sensitive the next time.

As has been pointed out, it is USUALLY the sanding dust that gets you, PARTICULARLY if you do not clean off your skin after sanding and then dunk your arms in acetone to clean off (yes some people are really that ignorant about the risks).

The newer surfboard epoxies are engineered to minimize allergens in the resins, if you plan future EPS projects I would use those. Wear gloves and avoid skin contact during lamming. Wear a full suit and dust mask and clean your skin off after sanding. If you are sensitive.

I never had a reaction to RR epoxy, even with sanding dust all over me. YMMV.

The styrene in polyester resin accelerates age-related cognitive decline. Literally, you get dumber as you age if you are repetitively exposed and do not take adequate precautions (ie: ventilators).

Although the medical literature is not clear on carcinogenic risks from PE resins, there are a number of lifetime glassers (especially glossers) who’ve died from rare forms of mouth/esophageal cancer that may be related to styrene exposure.

Each resin has its risks. Each has its precautions. Epoxy is an allergen, and if you have allergic reactions you should treat it appropriately.

I think blakestah summed it up best. Basically, building surfboards is a manufacturing process. While the compounds aren’t the worst out there you do need to take precautions.

Cross,

All epoxies are not equal. Get rid of the stuff your using now! Get a small batch of Resin Research’s product and protect yourself like there’s no tomorrow if you really think finishing the board is worth it. I have my doubts whether it is. Some folk are hypersensitive to epoxy, some to poly gloss, but the bottom line is don’t be cavalier about this. If you’re gonna work on this board once you’re body has calmed down do the baby powder shake then cover up big time, double gloves, mask, hood the whole eleven yards. Then when your done get the Go Jo out and scrub with cold water.

Take care mate, Rich

thanks guys, i think once i do calm down a bit with these allergies, i will finish hot coating the board and i will leave it at that. i wasnt planning on sanding the board, just leaving it after the hot coat, so i think i will be ok if i do not sand anymore fiberglass. but once it is done, i will surely get rid of all the left over epoxy i have, because this stuff was in no way helpful by any means. i’ll be sure to stick to well known name brands of epoxy next time, and i will absolutely take every precaution possible next time i sand and fiberglass.