SETTING DEPTH AND SANDING FCS FUSION

What I find if setting a bit higher is the tab needs more sanding to get it back down flush with the board, therefore exposing weave around the tab itself, whereas the less sanding to be done on the tab, i.e just taking the top off of the tab means less weave / less chance of exposing weave…

That makes sense, lets give it a blast! thx

Just a quick update. I am happy with the final board but it was the gloss coat which saved me.
I had some weave showing around the fin box tabs after sanding the hot coat. So i recovered the holes and did the gloss coat over it, then carefully wet sanded around the tabs making sure not to take much off, just enough to polish and feather it all in nicely.

Post lam, pre hot coat:

After sanding hot coat - nasty!

After gloss coat and polish:

Hey Helter,
Looks good in the end!! So, you went with setting the plugs just below (like maybe 1mm) the foam??

Thanks! Yes nice in the end, BUT, I was lucky that this board wanted a gloss coat. If not I would have had some head scratching to do. I would have probably just put some more hot coat resin around the tabs and feathered it in, which sounds easy (and probably is for most people!) but for me that usually means 3+ attempts before I sand without touching the cloth again!

Note I routed the fin boxes after the lamination, not on the shaped blank. But yes I always set them “just below” but how much is the question! In this case, I actually didn’t go down far enough. I moved my jig when it looked good, but realise with the concave in the board the inner side of the fins was flush with the surface of the lam but the outside was around 1/16th below. I have to say I much prefer installing fusions after the lam since I started doing that, just less stressful and get a nice clean look if using tints like this one. Main benefit is avoiding those nasty big bubbles which only decent glasses can avoid, I certainly can’t!

Ha… ive got one in the racks now… boxes set around 1mm below foam… should be able to whip off a couple of photos of end product for you and give you an idea of 1mm below foam looks like …

Cool please do