shape blank backwards?

Hi gang. I’d like someone’s opinion on this. I’ve been riding flatter, nose-riding boards for years now, but recently had the chance to ride a more “performance” LB that had more rocker. While I loved the way it turned on the steeper sections of the wave, it didn’t glide worth a dam in flatter sections where my noseriders still run well. The performance board just dies out! I was wondering how a board would go if I kept the front 2/3 of the board relatively flat, and then threw in some extra rocker in the last 1/3. I thought that this design would allow for quicker/easier turning when I’m on the tail, and better glide if I’m closer to or on the nose. Any thoughts? I thought I recall someone posting here about shaping a blank backwards so they could fit this sort of design onto a blank…flat nose…heavy rockered tail, but I didn’t seem to turn anything up in the archive. If anyone did give this a go…how’d it turn out? Opinions on this would be appreciated. Thanks much Dee

Your thought process is correct, but you must keep in mind that blanks these days are close tolerance. I shaped a board that had equal 3 1/2 nose rocker (front 1/3 with concave, middle third flat) and 3 1/2 tail rocker. The board catches waves very easy, and turns like a shortboard. Walking to the middle third increases the speed after turns and works sections very quick and very responsive. I have a friend that has borrowed it twice and says he wants a duplicate. It is my preferred summer board. Let me know if you need any additional info.

I shaped a board that had equal 3 1/2 nose rocker (front 1/3 with concave, > middle third flat) and 3 1/2 tail rocker. The board catches waves very > easy, and turns like a shortboard. Walking to the middle third increases > the speed after turns and works sections very quick and very responsive. I > have a friend that has borrowed it twice and says he wants a duplicate. It > is my preferred summer board.>>> Let me know if you need any additional info. Jim Phillips has been flipping them for years and knows a lot about it.He also glues his own custom rocker.Maybe he will see this and jump in…R.B.

Hi gang.>>> I’d like someone’s opinion on this. I’ve been riding flatter, nose-riding > boards for years now, but recently had the chance to ride a more > “performance” LB that had more rocker. While I loved the way it > turned on the steeper sections of the wave, it didn’t glide worth a dam in > flatter sections where my noseriders still run well. The performance board > just dies out! I was wondering how a board would go if I kept the front > 2/3 of the board relatively flat, and then threw in some extra rocker in > the last 1/3. I thought that this design would allow for quicker/easier > turning when I’m on the tail, and better glide if I’m closer to or on the > nose.>>> Any thoughts? I thought I recall someone posting here about shaping a > blank backwards so they could fit this sort of design onto a blank…flat > nose…heavy rockered tail, but I didn’t seem to turn anything up in the > archive.>>> If anyone did give this a go…how’d it turn out? Opinions on this would > be appreciated.>>> Thanks much Dee That type of rocker is usually considered a pretty traditional nose riding point surf rocker. Rich Harbour’s Sano model has a flat rocker until you get to the last 3 feet of the board. These type of rockers nose ride unbelievably, but suffer in the paddling department. More of a triming board, although they do come of the bottom nicely. Great point surf board. Sluggo

You can shape a nice one from a 9’1Y. standard rocker take your meat from the bottom letting off at the nose keeping meat at the tip. Then skin your deck removing more meat from the deck at the nose. hence a flatter nose rocker. As you tune the tail remove as much as you can from the last 2 feet and blend it in to the bottom. Bring your tail thinner to the tip. Most all my LB have that foil flat front 2/3 and a thinned out fliped tail. The added flip and thin tail works well in the thick beach break i surf… I only wish i had a good point close by… http://surfnwsc.com