Shaping/Glassing

What I mean by blade angle is that when the blades are sharpened or ground, there is an optimum angle that the sharpened blade has, the bevel of the blade or as you put it, the angle of the cutting edge. Just like a knife, the shallower the angle the better the cut but quicker the blade dulls. Obviously you want your blades to be sharp as well, if you feel like they were dull you should get them re sharpened, but being in a sealed package should not have caused the blades to dull.

The depth setting was just a suggestion to see if it made a difference. You can google “planer chatter” and see that the phenomenon exists with wood also, and there are a variety of suggestions which may or may not apply. If the problem in your case is only the foam itself, there may be little you can do, other than hand shape the problem area with a surform or sanding block.

Thanks, yes its feeling more and more like it might just be the foam. It’s a US Blanks blue density shortboard blank.
I have ordered new blades anyway just as something cheap to try.

I am now looking at buying a new planer. Once I get into it better and have more cash I will be buying the Hitachi P20SB Pro, but its big bucks so for now I am looking at something cheaper but not too cheap, maybe the bosch - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-GHO-15-82-600W-Professional-Electric-Planer-240v-NEW-VAT-RECEIPT-/182517619146?epid=1305519771&hash=item2a7ee5d9ca:g:oVIAAOSwAANY5XiU

Or maybe this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/makita-planer/192296827247?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649 if it goes cheap. I know its battery but I am only doing a few boards slowly for the next 6-12 months, then I would get something much more manly for heavier duty use. Would anyone have any comments on these two ?

Is there a certain RPM which I should be looking for, or as I suspect, should ANY sharp plane do the job? (obviously with adjustment in speed comes adjustment in use)
thanks

Does the below planer and blades look like yours? I love the old box. Looks like it was designed for 1mm deep, that’s 2.2mm less than 1/8".
You mentioned allen screws for adjustment.
Are you certain the blades are ‘true’ -not cocked across the planer and not proud of the rear shoe?
Have you tried the old blades on the new blank?
I’d give a dollar to hear PeteC’s thoughts on the matter…

Howdy, thanks yes thats identical to mine. It was a gift from a German friend of mine.

Yes my first attempts were with old original blades (which were not too blunt at all). Two sets of blades, no change. Both sets of blades mowed beautifully and perfectly on the old board blank. Doing my head in this!

Took a few pics in case they offer any suggestions, two of the blank which won’t mow smooth, and a few of the blades on planer

I got a BOSCH GHO 26-82. Tried it on the blank, works a treat. No ripping or furling at all. Happy bunny :slight_smile:

I have one of the single blade Bosch Planers, as a utility/backup tool, for certain tasks, that are not surfboard related. Though I have shaped boards with it too. The best answer, to your issue, may be a Skil 100. Get one through PeteC, and also get his blade honing device. That’s what I’d do. I’ve been using a Skil 100, since 1958. That’s 59 years of experience. Give it some thought.