Shaping Racks look like X

I’m looking for some shaping racks to buy. I’ve used the typical V shaped for years and I’m wanting to try some of the racks that have the X shape. I used to see them often but now that I’m looking for them I can’t seem to find them. Any heads up would be appreciated. Thanks Z

update, I had some made.  How sweet are these!  Cost a bit of coin but I’m super happy with them.  On the other side is height adjustment too.

I believe you are talking about the ones people simply make out of 2x4s.  I don’t know that anybody sells them.   https://www.swaylocks.com/node/64568

or maybe this?

I’m guessing, but I think you are probably referring to the welded Aussie racks.  Common Down Under, but not seen too often in the U.S.  The head sort of resembles an X in that it has a pop out slot that allows a shaper to turn the Blank up on a diagonal, thus putting the rail up at an easy view and reach.  If I remember right Huck built a set from wood that looked similar.  The welded metal racks that I speak of can be bought from Shapers Australia.

A quick look at the website shows no product under “Shaping Stands”.  Taking this to mean those racks are no longer available.

[[{“fid”:“105123”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]][[{“fid”:“105125”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“2”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“2”}}]]

Both will hold a blank diagonally, but it is best to use the first one.  The main reason for positioning the blank like this is so that the first bands can be cut with the planer horizontal. These are very small bands which break the edge about 1/4 x 1/4 inch and serve as guides for progessive bands, and the planer is held sideways, not pushed. The bands on the bottom will form a tucked edge on 60/40 rails.  Once all four bands are cut, the remaining bands are cut with the blank flat. Full banding is done flat so that you can look at the bands on both sides at the same time, if diagonal you can’t do this.   The diagonal angle for the blank to get the planer horizontal will vary so you want the opening wide enough to adjust.  You also want the opening deep enough so the blank isn’t too high when diagonal.

Absolutely correct.  A lesson I learned by watching El Maestro Terry Senate.  Lowel

OP updated first post wiith pic, here is it reduced to display correctly. OP should be able to reply as well.

I like it!

Thanks for doing that.  

I’m super stoked on this design, the fabricator knocked it out of the park.  I gave him all the dims off of my old V-style racks and told him what I wanted out of the new.  The dims are exactly like my old ones with the bonus of laying the board at a 45.  Off to get some new padding and dial these in.  They were nearly $600 to have built but they are certainly built to last.  There is a T-handle on the back side of this unit pictured for height adjustment as well.

You are indeed a humble man…

mako224 saved me some time, looking for your stand…

Check your PM.

Aloha

Matty