Shaping shed advice

Hey guys, looking for some guidance here. I want to invest in a shed to shape in and I have two options, an 8x12 or a 10x16… I think bigger would be better but the savings of buying an 8x12 would be nice. Im a total novice, i’ve made about 8 boards. But I would love to get serious and crank out some boards. What size shed should I get?

8x12 is $3300
10x16 is $4600

Well i would say maybe consider how important is that saving for you?

Will you be shaping and glassing in the shed or only shaping?

Will you be storing blanks in the shed or working one at a time?

Will you have a vaccum system inside or outside or any at all?

I think bigger is better but i have seen great works comming out of places smaller then your first option.

Bigger gives you more space to step away from the board and give it a better look from afar.

That said i work in a 4 meters by 3 meters room.
I upload a photo for you to see.
Cheers and good waves.

Consider the size boards you shape the most, storage options etc. If you can afford it you’ll never regret having more space!

Who’s going to tell you go smaller? Of course, bigger is better. The question, is, can you afford it? I have a smaller shed and built a lean-to roof off the back. This lets me sand outside of the shed.
Also, you should really consider some sort of canopy/sunshade/carport for the front of the shed. This doubles your space and makes working with UV a lot easier. Which also goes to say. You should consider UV.

Well said, and I can afford it without it being an issue financially, I’m just a bit frugal. I’m gonna go 10x16 and grow into it. Thanks for chiming in.

No problem, I fully understand frugal, I make a lot of my own shaping tools etc!

Yeah well I was kinda hoping someone would say “8x12 is perfect! I’ve been shaping in an 8x12 and I love it!” And I would have this ah-ha! moment and make my decision. But no one has said that annd everyone in my own life outside of swaylocks has also told me to go bigger if I can. So I think I should.

The lean too for sanding is a great idea.

So I just built a shed that is 12 x 16. It was the biggest i could build without a permit. The space fills quickly. I do glassing in it mostly at the moment because i still have my make shift 8 x 10 tarp bay for shaping.

Materials from the local big box store ran about $3600 without paint and Labor was another $2400 for a friend to help me build it.

I think I read somewhere that Gerry Lopez thinks 12 x 16 is the perfect shaping space. What you use the space for will define how much you need.

That’s a sweet looking shed! I like the security guard out the front too!

1 Like