Shaping the deck

Thanks for all the help, 

And sorry for digging this up by not responding earlier

Here’s my .02 as a backyarder -

Look at it lengthwise, the “long way” as you desribed it —  a nicely hand shaped deck foil is usually the result of rail bands coming together on the deck.

But the easiest answer to  ‘You want a nice deck?’ is, Don’t shape it! (polyU)

Choosing a quality blank, one that is nearest your desired outcome & then templated correctly, is your best shot at a good looking symmetrical deck foil. Avoid overshaping the existing crown/dome - obviously you will be skinning the shipping crust, but choose the right blank & you could have minimal deck shaping and a stronger deck to boot.

i’m surprised no one has mentioned this based on all the pictures, maybe its just a given to the pros/semi pros, but you sould always start with the racks and lighting. the better(more stable) your racks are and better the lighting you have in regards to your shaping racks the better the end product.

doing straight and even bands on wobbly uneven racks or without good sidelighting is close to impossible believe me, we shape outside under a popup using home made christmas tree stand racks. almost as bad as mr j’s ironing board rack and electric turkey knife planer set up in his apartment.

having a good set up is step one.

outsourcing your base cuts to a shop with an APS3000 who needs to fill hours is another thought if you don’t have good lighted shaping room. i bet there’s lot of underutilized machines out there.

Nice Bud!  Just got to love that pu.  That shot just oozes the chrispy buttery nature of a good poly blank.  Summer time twin?

…hello Bud, please read the other page, you put a resume of what I posted

how can I get to that link? it is giving me a 404 error

In a photo of Bill Stewart, he is shown using a level with vertical ‘feelers’ that clearly show the depth of the deck bands. I don’t have this tool but if I were doing some sort of plug for production, it would make sense to make one.

Very helpfull insite! How much do you guys mow depth wise?