Shaping tools

Bruce the planer pictured to the far left is really a great tool. I don’t have one however always wanted to own one. Can you still get them?

I’ve tried over the years without any luck. I have the same spokeshaves pictured to the right.

Regards,

Surfding

haaa’’ look at you lot?   these guys come along and make a very good product (from what i can see)

i have not seen 1 sugestion here that i would consider having in my room,

sanders in shaping rooms haaaa’’ bodgies’’

spokeshaves for wood   not the best solution to taking down stringers

a small palm block plane kept razor sharp  (and there are allready plenty of makers allready)

and if the fip in the tip is what bothers you there is a simple tool to do that job

its a  block plane with a low radius sole best made in wood by the shaper   (sorts the real ones from the duds)

** so how about leting them do what they do best        **

a smaller model for poor old cnuts that get arm tired    like me haaa’’

no offence to anyone just my thoughts.

**cheers huie

Thanks McDing.

Keith Melvin found one for me!

Hi Huie:

I use my shaping tools to build things for my wife. That way she doesn’t complain about all the boards I make.

My collection of Hand Planes ranges from Stanleys to Lieman Nelsons to anything Japaneese.

I would love to have a hand plane made for clean stringers made by HUIE.

Let me know how much money you need and I will send you some US Dollars or I can transfer them in to Australian dollars if you like.

To have a tool made by you would be great to own.

Kind regards,

Surfding

Last coffee table I made for my wife with my shaping tools: Sorry for using exotics from Africa.

the one thing I would like to try is extension for a sander.  About 5" long so I could cruise over glasson fins when sanding.  

S’Ding, like you I love wood also. The Tormek is a nice tool to start the process. This is something that in my view is vitally important,  SHARP cutting edges. As I’ve harped on in other threads, I know you can achieve a surgical edge by hand with just a bench grinder and a couple of good stone wheels, coupled with a muslin wheel and jeweler’s rouge. The stone wheels set your angle and the real sharpness comes from diamond plates to 1000 grit. I use a jig when using the diamonds and the wheel on the grinder. There are many ways to reach that sharpness: hollow grind, double or triple grind or a simple single bevel. Just like sanding a board, the finer you go; the smoother the surface. After the treatment on the diamond plates, then I take it to the muslin wheel with judicious use of the rouge. This is KEY! Once you have your edges, all it takes is some dressing up on the plates (2"x8") from time to time. Unless you get a serious knick in the edge, the wheel stones are not used all that often. That stopped me from getting the Tormek or other like grinders. I just don’t need them that often and all they provide is a water bath when compared to a bench grinder. I made an angle jig out of scrap maple for setting the angle and a commercial jig for the hand “stones”. I think an investment in GOOD diamond plates goes further than the water bath grinders.Just another opinion from a knothead. Someday I’ll splurge and go to a blacksmith and have him make a few Damascus steel blades.

ps. I’d love to hear Wood Ogre’s thoughts on the subject.

**hey ding i don’t have a problem with that but cant do it before chrisy ,    early new year no trouble

I will be in Tahiti day after Christmas for 10 days. So by end of January would be nice.

I’ve heard that you make your own planes. That would be quite a cool tool to have in my shaping bay.

i have some special wood that i do them out of brown beech no longer available

I have some planes made from White Birch (Japanese) Haven’t seen Brown Birch?

Thanks HUIE!

Kind regards,

**Surfding

S’Ding, I haven’t heard of “brown Birch” either but in parts of Russia they harvest Birch and among the culls are black or spalted Birch that have grown among iron and ash deposits and the grain is infused with charcoal colored spring growth. Not particularly pretty to my eye but have milled plenty for a 3500 square foot floor. Very expensive because not every tree in the stand “colors” up like that. We tried to get a similar effect through staining but it’s not the same. I’d be interested in seeing the Brown Birch variety.

Ps. Wonder what type of steel Huie uses.

tblank my first love is wood.

I use many exotics like the coffee table I built out of Ebony and Paduk. It’s weights over 250 pounds. Hand planes are essential to building fine piece of furtiure as well and cleaning a stringer on a surfboard.

I’m curioius to get my hands on a plane custom made by HUIE. I think it would be a nice addition to my obsession with tools.

My next big purchase will be a TORMAK blade shapener. You got to keep your tools sharp.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Sharpening___Tormek_System___Tormek_T7_Wet_Sharpening_System___tormek_standard?partnerid=googlebase

I too wonder what type of steel HUIE uses?

The Brown Birch sounds pretty cool as well!

T blank....... I"ll check it out. Thank you.

Ding....you can still get those at FGH. Probably Foam EZ too. They were orginally offered thru Clark Foam.

I have another spokeshave that is real concave (opposite of the curved one here), but I never had gr8 use for it. Also little mini spokeshaves like everyone mentioned in this thread but the quality usually sucks. The bigger curved one here gets 1/8" stringers done with no digging of foam around the stringer. These weren't high priced tools, but they work.

Since were taking about shaping bay tools:

Here’s a rack I made with some wood scrapes to keep my hand planes were I can find them.

Also I have a rack with 3 variable speed 7" sanders with Hard, Medium and Soft set up so there are no tool setups.

Plane rack:

haaaa’’ you dont need a plane from me  you got enough there.

1 1/2 oz your fav wood nthern silky oak

cheers huie

** quilted qld maple**

Huie:

Make me a plane when you have time!

Those fins are awsome. FCS perfect!

Your work is always PRO.

Kind regards,

Surfding

Huie, Has the Silky Oak ever given you a rash or anyone you know? This is a great material for woodworking one of my faves. Here in So. Cal., they landscape with these trees and there are MANY 50yrs or older around. They line the streets with them in some areas.

ps. S’Ding, your shaping bay looks better outfitted than my woodshop!

Huie, nice fin, great job with the carbon layer. Integrity AND a neat look.

I built this jig to cut outlines with a Ryobi Trim Router using a Pencil Bit. Back in 2002. Shapers were making fun of me. I had better luck cutting outlines with a router instead of a handsaw. Here a picture of it on P.T.'s Rusty number 3800 Pink Gun: It was in for restoration work. This router is 9 years old.

S’Ding, you are lucky to get that kind of life out of a Ryobi, but it’s obvious you take good care of your stuff. Also, how do you keep dust out of all those cubby holes?

ps. Ever work with Silky Oak? Nice stuff, mills beautifully and if quartered right you get Lacewood like Huie’s fin.