Shaping tools

yea will get to gether new yr

those fins weigh 1 1/2 oz

cheers huie

Tblank to be honest my room is always dusty dirty. I try and clean it every two days. Well also I pay a guy in the shop to clean my CNC room and my Shaping bay twice a week. I Blow off before taking photos with my Blackberry. I blow out my tools after every use and it seems to make them last longer. After each project if I go through and deep clean a tool and it's ready for the next challege. I have Porter Cable 390 12 years old, Two Hitachis 3 1/4 HP 9 years old, Dewalt Trim Router (Brand new in a box for back up six years now) The Royobi won't die? I even have a cordless Royobi Router with a 18V Litium battery for seting fin boxes that just works unreal. With good sharp bits US Made no problems. The Chineese bits chip and are worthless. I even have a router table with a 10 year old Chineese generic knock off fitted with a 3/4" round over bit and use it as a one trick pony. I quit buying so many hand tools when I got my CNC Machine. Router bits are $400 dollars and upgrading and maintaning one is like owning a BOAT (BRAKE OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND).

Huie's got some good wood to work with down under Heh!

Hey Huie, We probably have the Southern Silky Oak and in abundance. I was working with an Aussie on a house and he mentioned the trees lining the street were common in Oz. and were like an oak tree. It so happened not long after that a city crew were trimming them and removing some so I bought them lunch (liquid variety) and asked them to save some longer straight lengths. After the curing, I made several bow back Windsor loveseats that sold well. As far as work nowadays, I’ve had to re-invent a few times. Started building houses and every time the economy took a dive I’ve had to find something else. Making surfboards didn’t get the bills paid, went into furniture and stringed instruments and also try to decipher Chinese machinery manuals into English. The manual writing is the worst thing I’ve ever done but it’s there when I need it. 

My old work partner broke out in a rash working with the silky oak that lasted the duration of the loveseats, but we came up with some beautiful grain for the seats. We used black walnut for accent pieces and it looked great against the oak.

S’Ding, have you looked into using end mills for cutters? They are generally cheaper than router bits. I too have a 7/8 HP. Porter Cable router that is 23 yrs old and still is kicking. Just replace the brushes and off it goes. I use it for doors, routing the butts and latches out so it’s never been used to “hog” material.

Thanks Heaps for all the info Fellas!

My router bits last about 6 months if I don’t hit any metal post. I hit a tower a couple of months back (Forgot to lower it) Knocked off the teeth (Spikes). You blow a $1,000 each time you have a brain fart. The heads look like a drum bits you see from Shapers Australia. Cutting foam no problem. End mill bits do not cut Polyurthane or EPS very well and will tear it. I have a brand new bit for back up in house and one on the machine with about 3 weeks life left on it and one coming back from recoating. I would post a picture of my cutter heads so you can see what I mean. However I’m building furniture today and won’t be making surfboards again until Friday.

Kind regards,

Surfding

[quote="$1"]

[IMG]http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff336/HUIESHAPES/DSC00035.jpg[/IMG]

1 1/2 oz your fav wood nthern silky oak

cheers huie

Huie. What are the dims and weight of a board like this??? Beautiful.

[IMG]http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff336/HUIESHAPES/DSC00015.jpg[/IMG]   quilted qld maple

[IMG]http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff336/HUIESHAPES/DSC00033.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]

hey dead this board has a little story and i cant put much up till the owner receives it     he might get pissed off haaa’’

will post some stuff for you next week

**             cheers huie

Sorry to bug you Huie. Those fins are unreal. The weight is perfect. How much money for a set?

michael send me a temp for the fins and i will make some  as soon as i get chrisy out of the way

can put any cant on tabs whatever you want foils can be thicker no prblm

** will do a set for me old mate bruce as well **

cheers huie

**MAT WHEN CAN I GET MY PLANER?

I will send you Shaun’s Fin Template. All is boards are FCS. That would be all time!

Please sign them as well!

Kind regards,

Michael

yea send it to me in an e mail

huieshapes@bigpond.com

**             cheers huie

…long time from the last time in the industry section…

-that planer looks fantastic.

well, there s good ideas in this thread but “gizmos” at some point. You only need a sharp e planer and hand planers with different blade sets; plus couple (1 softer than the other) of sanding blocks and couple of files with microblades.

Really nuthin more

you can obtain a fine surface without any marks and without stringer splinters, etc with only that

as always was/be.

-also, why such a bunch of tools when the shape is done by the machine???

to believe that some still a shaper?

to believe that miraculously someone can rich top level with fine tools?

to maintain the free time (due to the machine) in the bay full of something to talk?

I'm a hand shaper.

I use a rocker stick and have done so for decades, as in several decades.

My primary customer is c-u-s-t-o-m ... as in customer.

I use contour calipers & a square when duplicating rails for customers that want me to replicate a magic or fave stick.

A long time ago I got into more and more tooling. Then one day I decided to go backwards and see how minimalist I could be so if I were jumping on a plane and shaping somewhere else, what would I R-E-A-L-L-Y need?

This approach brought me back down to earth in a very enjoyable way.

Still having fun after all these years.

Need I say more?

Well Said, DS. Guys like me that don’t have to depend on the money from boards can take our time and really enjoy the process. I still really love woodworking, but at times it is a job and a chore, so I’ve got to remind myself to keep perspective. Many years ago working for an older guy and trying do do a complicated set of winder stairs I kept worrying about getting enough done while maintaining quality. All he told me was, “Just Have Fun With It”. That took the weight of the world off my shoulders and increased my production. I haven’t forgotten what a great management move that was. Since, I’ve used that technique to great success with others. It aint all about dollars and cents.

…so seems that we are saying the same

reverb how the hell are ya?      it seems to me like i said that  a cple pages back come think of it i have been saying that since i come on swaylocks

but that planer  man i  i want one

what are you making  got any pics

cheers huie

"A long time ago I got into more and more tooling. Then one day I decided to go backwards and see how minimalist I could be so if I were jumping on a plane and shaping somewhere else, what would I R-E-A-L-L-Y need?"

I remember working with Pat Rawson one time a few years back and he was doing just that: Jumping on planes to Australia, Japan, Peru, Florida, California, France and back to Hawaii at some point. He had minimal tools and a FLASH DRIVE with all his files. I made a few files for him from a few boards I scanned from his hand shapes. At the end of the project he pulled out a tail rocker stick for each board to verify the files created from the scans. I was terrified. Thank GOD the files were approved. He knew every number for his rockers. Pat has the best memory I've ever seen and knows every inch of his boards. He travels light and produces a lot of boards the world over. I witness not only a good shaper craftsman but a very smart business mind. He can plug into any machine anywhere and produce his models. Very light traveler for a Globe Trotter!

Bruce's comments brought that story to mind.

…well in this week I made some of these foam/fiber fins and built couple of boards with those parabolic stringers, etc

not sure if was about that your question…

-yes, one of those planers will be cool but Im near bankrupt with one of my Triumph bikes, so not enough extra money

Very Nice Fins!

Aloha Tom:

Have you tried up on EBay, there is a guy up there (he has come on Swaylocks occasionally) that I get my grit drums from for my Skil planers, they are the best I have found to date and they are about $100 cheaper than those offered by either Fiberglass Hawaii or Shapers Australia, they are called Cyclone Grit Drums and he makes them for both Skil and Hitachi.

Here is a link, although this link is for the Clark Hitachi version, they do also have Skil 100 versions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cyclone-Grit-Drum-Clark-Foam-Planer-Shaping-New-/280423592200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414a8c7108#ht_2695wt_1141

I have been using this drum for the last 3 or 4 years and it is the best I have tried and I have tried all of the others, this one is so good I even use it to shape balsa, which is not possible with some of the carbide drums. It has a very unique shape that is less of a drum and more sort of “Z” shaped that allows it to run a lot cooler.

I’m in the process of fitting one to my Accurate Planer to see how the planer works with a grit drum. The Accurate Planer is a really joy to use, but I’m so used to using grit drums that I want to see what it is like with one. I think it is going to be really good because of the extra power available but I won’t know until I try. I have a brand new grit drum that will be installed in it soon.

I have attached a photo of my Accurate Planer sitting on one of my guns. The thing is a work of art, I cannot stop taking photos of it.

Since this photo I have modified mine a little to work with my vacuum setup using the vacuum attachment from my Skil planer.