Sharpening Scissors

I have a pair of Wiss brand scissors that are are dull as hell.A new set is 50 bucks.How do you sharpen scissors?I can handle planer blades but this is another matter.I found all kind of sharpening info on the net but nothing on what I need.I hate the plastic handle jobs because after I clip hanging glass strings they melt when I clean em in acetone.

You know how you sharpen each knife edge at 11 degrees off the blade plane? You sharpen each scissor edge at 11 degrees off perpendicular to the blade plane. Some scissors use a greater angle, like 15 degrees. Use whatever angle the maker honed into the edge. Fold a square piece of paper from corner to corner, bisecting the right angles. That’s 45 degrees. Fold another bisect in one of the 45’s. That’s 22.5 degrees. Fold it again, and you make 11.25 degrees. You can use that as a guide. Stand the scissor blade on the whetstone vertically, but swept back at an angle. Tilt the blade back at the original edge angle. Draw the scissor blade across the stone at a diagonal, like you’re trying to slice off some of the stone with the scissor edge. Continue drawing. At some point you’ll have to take a fresh grip on the scissors. Before drawing them again, place the blade on the stone. Rock it and feel the exact edge angle you made previously. Hold that angle and continue honing. You want to avoid taking even a partial pass at another angle. Hold only moderate pressure while honing. Too much pressure will bend the edge over (>/) instead of honing it down. Even with propper pressure, you’ll have some bent edge. Before using the scissors, hone the other sides of the edges by drawing them flat on the stone. Feel the edges and confirm that they are sharp, and unbent before closing the blades. It starts off slow, but you’ll get the hang of it. Good luck, Noodle

You know how you sharpen each knife edge at 11 degrees off the blade > plane? You sharpen each scissor edge at 11 degrees off perpendicular to > the blade plane. Some scissors use a greater angle, like 15 degrees. Use > whatever angle the maker honed into the edge.>>> Fold a square piece of paper from corner to corner, bisecting the right > angles. That’s 45 degrees. Fold another bisect in one of the 45’s. That’s > 22.5 degrees. Fold it again, and you make 11.25 degrees. You can use that > as a guide.>>> Stand the scissor blade on the whetstone vertically, but swept back at an > angle. Tilt the blade back at the original edge angle. Draw the scissor > blade across the stone at a diagonal, like you’re trying to slice off some > of the stone with the scissor edge. Continue drawing. At some point you’ll > have to take a fresh grip on the scissors. Before drawing them again, > place the blade on the stone. Rock it and feel the exact edge angle you > made previously. Hold that angle and continue honing. You want to avoid > taking even a partial pass at another angle.>>> Hold only moderate pressure while honing. Too much pressure will bend the > edge over (>/) instead of honing it down. Even with propper pressure, > you’ll have some bent edge. Before using the scissors, hone the other > sides of the edges by drawing them flat on the stone. Feel the edges and > confirm that they are sharp, and unbent before closing the blades.>>> It starts off slow, but you’ll get the hang of it.>>> Good luck, Noodle Yowee Noodle you left me in the dust on that one…I thank you for your effort on the post though.The blades are held together with a screw…would it be easier if I separated them?Hell I could probably send them off for sharpening but that aint no fun…can you give me a more simplified version?I bet that this gets a big “yawn” from the guys watching…too bad.

Yowee Noodle you left me in the dust on that one…I thank you for your > effort on the post though.The blades are held together with a screw…would > it be easier if I separated them?Hell I could probably send them off for > sharpening but that aint no fun…can you give me a more simplified > version?I bet that this gets a big “yawn” from the guys > watching…too bad. You don’t need to remove the screw. It’s hammered on the end anyway. Just open the scissors. Hold one blade and opposite handle together. Maybe wrap a rag around them to keep from getting cut. Try this. Hold the blade vertically across your stone. “Yaw” it at an angle to the stone’s edge. Rock the blade back (about 11 degrees) until you feel it rest on the flat scissor edge. Hold that angle, and start sharpening.

I like a good pair of metal shears too. Acetone eats up anything else as you say. I’ve been getting by sharpening mine with a small soft stone as Noodle points out. I just found a 10" and 7" set of steel scissors at the dollar store that look to be pretty decent. Most have warps in the blade and they have gaps in the edges as you close them. Two pair for $0.99, I opened a few packages to find what I wanted, kind of like dumpster diving, huh? Tom S.>>> Yowee Noodle you left me in the dust on that one…I thank you for your > effort on the post though.The blades are held together with a screw…would > it be easier if I separated them?Hell I could probably send them off for > sharpening but that aint no fun…can you give me a more simplified > version?I bet that this gets a big “yawn” from the guys > watching…too bad.

I have a pair of Wiss brand scissors that are are dull as hell.A new set > is 50 bucks.How do you sharpen scissors?I can handle planer blades but > this is another matter.I found all kind of sharpening info on the net but > nothing on what I need.I hate the plastic handle jobs because after I clip > hanging glass strings they melt when I clean em in acetone. I just have mine sharpened at the hardware store for $3.50 Kokua

I just have mine sharpened at the hardware store for $3.50 Kokua As always the Kokua Kahuna comes up with the right solution.My old grey headed Mom said to take em to the sewing store costs $3.00 while you wait.I never thought that an off the wall question like this would get so many responces.Swaylocks Rules.