should the "stingray" be stopped?

Don’t ask me how I came up with this design. It just kinda feels right. Any ways it’s probably been done before.

I call it the stingray. The dimensions are 6’4"x22"x3.5". 15" finbox to allow lotsa center fin adjustments. EPS/balsa/epoxy lam. I envision possible bonzer type side fins. The lighter line represents concaved area. The templates are being CNC’d next week. Can anyone give me any reason why this shouldn’t be my next board? Also if it is a feasible concept what do you think the performance characteristcs might be?

Thanks much!! -Gary

go for it, I would, looks like a fun board

so, how did you come up with th…oops, you said not to ask didn’t you

see : Terry Fitzgerald , "Hot Buttered Surfboards ", 1971- ? (also around the same time, Peter St. Pierre [‘pinliner’ at forum.surfermag.com…design forum] developed a similar shape while working for Sunset Surfboards in California…RobOlliges , Shwuz, others at surfer ? may remember the thread and photos ?)

Do it , aqua, that can be YOUR homeschooling / swaylocks uni project, plus ‘swaylocks footage’ …all rolled into one !

ben

It’s kind of like the male version of a swallowtail?

Go for it! The design has its valid points…in the 60’s and 70s there was a variation of that called star tail. It could be fun.

Aqua,

I say build it and lets see how it performs. Did you take a fish tail template and invert it? Resinhead’s observation conjers up images probably that should be left alone if the board gets together with a “Female looking” fish.Mike

Aquafiend65. kind of looks like “The Thumb”… looks good though but more like a Horseshoe Crab in shape than a Stingray… whats the bottom contour you have in light blue line?

That board looks insane!!! The only thing I could see as a possible negative is cracking that tail where it bumps. Looks a little fragile. Of course it couldn’t be much worse than the fragility of the Fish tail. Man shape me one, I’ll be your test pilot…

I like it too. Good way to keep the rails straight for speed but a small tail to turn off of. I’m imagining it with flat rocker, like a fish with a small protruding tail instead of the wide swallow. Be iterested to see how it goes.

Quote:

looks good though but more like a Horseshoe Crab in shape than a Stingray…

======================================================================

Yeah true, but the “Horseshoe Crab board” just didn’t have the same ring to it!

Go for it and shape we all here and probably including yourself would like to know how this board rides the only that will go to waste is a blank like another said it can be one of your home schooling projects

Quote:

Don’t ask me how I came up with this design

Uh…Ok.

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=196058;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;

Quote:
Quote:

Don’t ask me how I came up with this design

Uh…Ok.

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=196058;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;

ut oh… sounds like bad case of Amnesia los Swaylocks…

Aqua,

Do you really care what others think and if so…why? If it doesn’t succeed, try try again…

Make it, ride it, learn from it…experience pays…

I really like the design and with your permission would like to shape one. Any objections?

-will it be thick enough in the tail for that fin box that sits in the concave?

-why 3.5" I think you may be happier with it as 3" - 2 7/8" thick…

-have you considered doing a concave deck?..

-will the bonzer option be removable and if so would you ride it as a twin or quad?.

I really like that planshape… I would like to do one around 6’2 though and not as thick…

great Shape!!!

I think the design of that board is quite exquisit. If I were you, I would go ahead and try to make it patented.

Quote:

Aqua,

Do you really care what others think and if so…NO! (Except for Shipman…Not. Shipman do you reeeeeeeeeeally see those as the same two boards???) I just wanted some feed back as to how it might ride. The response has been very positive so I’m gonna go for it.

I really like the design and with your permission would like to shape one. Any objections? Go for it. I lsent you a pm.

-will it be thick enough in the tail for that fin box that sits in the concave? Yes…the pic may not be to the desired scale /thickness, but before I shape I will make sure.

-why 3.5" I think you may be happier with it as 3" - 2 7/8" thick… 6’ 4", 230lbs. Just wanna make sure I’ve got enough floatation.

-have you considered doing a concave deck?.. NO. But I am open for suggestions. What would that do??

-will the bonzer option be removable and if so would you ride it as a twin or quad?. Not sure yet. What would you suggest and why?

I really like that planshape… I would like to do one around 6’2 though and not as thick…

great Shape!!! Thanks! Go for it! We can compare “notes”

Aquafiend, I saw two boards last night that had tails very similar to your picture. They were windsurfers made by Joe Blair who used to shape for Dick Brewer, Simon Anderson, and Xanadu. He said they turn really well as windsurfers.

Your picture looks great. Make one and tell all us curious souls how it behaves. It will be more information for the Swaylocks library. Doug

I thought I saw something like that before in the archives

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=139690;search_string=gemiguin;#139690

its a couple of post down, youll see it

"Aqua,

Do you really care what others think and if so…NO! (Except for Shipman…Not. Shipman do you reeeeeeeeeeally see those as the same two boards???) I just wanted some feed back as to how it might ride. The response has been very positive so I’m gonna go for it.“”

Aquafiend, why yes I do see a close similarity. except for the fin set-up. it’s not an original design, so no big deal …I am sure it will ride just fine as a single fin but you should definitly do it as a Bonzer IMO. Go For It! let us know how it go’s…I’d also like to hear how Tenover’s board go’s too.