Show us your home-made fins ....

second attempt shaping fins…still bad but much better then the first ones when I thought to my self ‘‘I will never shape fins again…’’

well…never say never…fins are  fun to make and thanks to sways…I hope they go fast on my litle truster that broke the tail in the middle … (i gave her a brand new tail foil and exit rocker :slight_smile:

last wood fins 

Paulownia / maritim pine / redwood   48 g each with 4 oz on each side

Fin pannel for a SUP race fin

The " Hole fins "  Marin plywood fins, i’ve done this keel fins about 2 or 3 years ago, just testing the " clear hole "  !!!

Hi, i think u should do your wood fins in the other wood direction ( sorry for the french langage … )  anyway very good job !!

I did not make these, but GDaddy cut down two old FCS plastic center fins and made a nubster and a shark tooth

I posted this on another thread by mistake and don’t know how to delete it. Ah well…these are a pair of generic glass on fins I bought from Surf Source. Am doing a glass overlay in an attempt to match the existing color of a board I am building. I pigmented the fin white first ( like a blank) and just used the same tint resins as on the board. next up is to sand and get them ready to be glassed on.

VERY NICE .... CLEVER stuff !

those are the aboriginal flag's colours , here in Australia , too , by the way .

cheers

ben

my 3rd fin

Reverse D quad set with Pro-box tabs

I found some curved  plastic fins on Ebay 3 sets for $12. Did a cut out one set. Here is a photo of the results. Hope to play with these soon.

Those look interesting GDaddy… like to hear how they go

I could not find any canted mini tuttle box race fins for a course racing kite board so I took my fastest windsurfing speed fin and made a split lay-up mold with the ability to lay-up different angle intergral base tabs. I made 3 sets of fins and found the 12 degree cant to be the best angle for board heeling and minimum drag on a twin fin race board. The first set had 20 degree cant and pointed great but felt fin-less in transition turns!

Another view of split tool

something i started a couple months ago and sorta forgot about for a while, gotta glass it and figure out the base. Think I’ll rip it long ways a time or two and sandwich some roving that extends through the cuts into the base. Corecell,carefully rough hewn,  rattle can green, then sealed with qcell slurry, i like the effect of the white showing up in the corecell relief cuts so i layed out the outline for the lines to be on a 45…Then idunno five or six layers of six ounce per side? I’ll post if I getter done.

oops these pics just show the paint not the q sludge, whatever you get the idea!

, i foiled a little much in the middle, but i am sure they will still perform, i noticed i am getting mini air bubbles in my layups i dont know why, i guess i did not saturate enough resin into the cloth, these are 6 oz epoxy layup.

[img_assist|nid=1061634|title=SUP|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=909|height=704]

Cut down nubbies from some FCS compatibles.

mikeb whats the toe in on the sidebites?

I lined them up on the stringer at the nose. Teh pic is kind of a wierd angle.

finpanel

fiberglass fin panel. ‘half moon’ simmons keels, noserider fin, fish keel fins

fins

bamboo veneer keels. method as shown by Wildy.