Show Us Your Shaping Stands

Yes I have used it previously and it works well.  Hopefully you won’t have to buy a matteress topper to get a piece big enough to pad a rack.

I am now using memory foam. Kinda thick but works good. I got it for free. Was in the trash at a furniture auction. They can’t legally sell used matresses.

I’ve wanted a second stand for some time now, finally getting around to building me one. A few goofs so far, but almost there now.

Used mine for the first time, but need more area for board to sit on…May make another when I start shaping again.

Smerk, nice looking stand. I hope there is a funny story about the fin…
If you copied the timber ‘feet’ and cut them in half, you could make 4 ‘arms’ to better support the board.
Then add a diagonal brace and some padding and you will be shiny.

…you read my mind on ‘fattening’ it out some more. Unfortunately the fin was an airline/baggage handler issue, not one but two boards.

Sorry to hear about the boards.
By diagonal brace I meant on the lower portion, to counteract the whole stand rocking nose to tail.

I want new stands… So much to do and not enough time. I work in a machine shop and still cant find the time to get them done. I wish I could just own a hot dog cart and surf. No one eats hot dogs before 11am. Man that would be cool.
Besides this, I have nothing useful to add at this time.

sorry to burst your bubble, Pinks opens at 9:30 a.m.

I was there, where you are, frustrated. I wish I could be shaping, but can’t. So I’m making stands instead.

That is a well thought out design. What do you plan on using to pad the racks?

thanks the foam is some camping pad foam I picked up several rolls of awhile back. The basic shape of the stand and the foam have worked well for me so I’m not changing much with this new rack. I do think a little softer foam would grip a little better.

It stands a little taller than my old rack, I’ll have to see if I like it better this way for working, visually I can already tell I like it better for eyeballing a shape.

My only thought is I’d do something a little more sturdy for the feet. Other than that…looks great.

I left the feet pretty much the same as on my old stand - but after I took those pics I decided I wanted to cut it down a little shorter. So I cut a few inches off, and doubled up the plywood feet.

I have been thinking about stands for a while now and decided to keep it real simple and just make a set of v stands. Bucket, cement, steel pole, bolts, off cuts of wood, double layer of memory foam, staple gun and little bits of vinyl where staples go to hold the foam and hey presto, all done.

I made these while I was triaging the fin boxes I set with off the shelf PE resin from the big box store. Most of the materials scavenged from kind like minded souls. Total outlay in cash $40 USD.

Dual Purpose :slight_smile:

I made these to turn a workbench into a surfboard repair bench. Not really shaping racks, but could be used at a pinch.

Super simple and come apart for storage. I added a flat peice on the top and put foam padding on them.

Had one of the welders in my shop at work make these up. This was before I mounted and padded them. In hindsight I should have told him to use thicker steel for the actual part the board sits on because when lots of pressure is applied they can bounce… they are not as rigid as they should be but work fantastic.

My new shaping stand. Build from materials I recycled. Solid so I’m happy with it.

Otto