Show Us Your Shaping Stands

Finally got mad and threw my shaky old ones out. 

Show the sways community what youve got!

Angus-

Portable racks I’ve made a bunch of boards on.  1" MDF so they are very heavy.  Very rigid and by popping out the 4 wedges the whole thing comes apart in to 4 pieces in seconds.

Mine are steel and ajustable. Got em from Fiberglass Hawaii ten years ago.

2x4’s and swim noodles.

Thanks for starting and posting on this thread! It’s nice to see the ideas and options people are using.

I already had the wood and the 2x4’s set in concrete from another project. 35" tall with a 5 1/2 x 13" gullet before padding, all put together with 3" decking screws, working out from the middle set in concrete. The extra piece on one is to hold the fin clamp. I  built them too tall at first and reworked them to the above numbers. I might want to take them apart again and build one side with a 45 degree option like Huck’s (nice work H!). -J

Edit 2-Aug-2017 Photo link broken by Photobucket’s new third-party hosting policy. New pic of old stands added below

Heay duty truck wheels.

2" round tubing.

4" flat bar steel bent into a “y” shape.

Only can adjust height.

But easy to move around for other projects.

Old ones. Adjustable height only.

New ones. Bolted to floor. height and length adjustable.

Those are some nice looking racks:)

Made these ones some years ago…can switch heads out for glassing and designed an extendable glassing tray to fit it…never looked back !

I’m almost speechless.      Almost.      Easily the most well thought out design I’ve seen in quite some time.     Versitile,  is an understatement !       Well done.

Bill

Thirdshade, Very Nice indeed. You could market that set up.

Balsa Bill, I can see you don’t do no stinking short boards. :slight_smile:

Kenny brown made these for me about 5 years ago. Diesel truck brake drum bases with some uni-strut and a couple of 4"x4"'s.

How do you all feel about carpet on shaping stands instead of a soft foam?

I just remade my racks and its come time to make a decision. 

Angus-

I had carpet, now have foam - like the foam better.  My carpet just got dirty and matted and never gripped as well as the foam.

Foam grips better, and is a bit easier to follow the contours of the racks.

I’ve got the 5 gallon bucket kind.

adjustable height.

attachable glassing racks.

the shaping racks need new foam but otherwise they work great.

FREE FREE FREE to the first person that can come get 'em in San Leandro,

otherwise, they are going in the bin… gonna see if I have a pic somewhere

Thirdshade, that is a work of art.

Matt

Bill your wooden rack looks like it’s right outta Surboard Builders Yearbook, circa 1965!

The nice thing about carpet is that it can be looped down into the “U” of the rack and suspended in such a way that when you have a blank up on it’s rail it doesn’t bottom out and dent the blank.  However it you use yoga mat or some of the really nice blue backpacker foam like they sell at Sports Authority and don’t “throw” the blank on it’s rail you won’t get any dents.  That’s one of the reasons I like the head on the shaping racks sold by Shapers Australia.  You can drop the blank diagonal into the rack on edge to band rails etc and not a chance of slipping.  

I recently had a set of four inch wide heads made for my steel rack(same as cleanlines).  If you get the throat of the head wide enough; a blank will sit on rail against foam nicely.  I use 3m spray adhesive to apply foam to the metal head and make a couple of relief cuts as needed. 

I had a local welder up the road in Beaver, Oregon do the four inch heads.  I called him and arranged to drop them off by  the door of his shop on a trip into Tillamook.  I left them sitting there (upside down) by the shop door.  He thought they were some kind of table legs or base.  Did a great job.  He stood there and looked at me with a puzzeled look when I tried to explain how they fit the rack and how they were used for surfboard shaping.  Though he had no clue, he did a great job.  Excellent welder.  Builds righteous Dory and Drift boat trailers as well.  Morgan Welding on 101 near  Beaver.  Lowel

Has anyone tried memory foam yet? The stuff I saw back in the uk had a nicely grippy feel to it…reckon that stuff could be on the money… Quite pricey though…