SHOW YOUR COLOR!! - tints, swirls, paint, art, lams, let's see what you got

As you probably know, the french soccer team won the world cup. This is a project for a commemorative board, 10’6" glider, custom US Blank:

Remi Bertoche is a friend of mine who has been painting art on surfboards for a long time. Those last years, he has got some recognition in the art world and some of his works are really outstanding. Just to give you an idea, have a look at his website: https://www.remibertocheart.com

To make a long story short, my wife recently fell in love with one of his paintings, featuring a girl dancing. I called Remi to ask for the price of it but he told me that it was a private order for € 4500, 00. Ooops… But then he told me that he was having reproductions of it printed that he enhances with a few brush strokes here and there and those sell (only) for like € 1200, 00… That was still a bit too much for me; then we talk about things and he says he needs a gun for Hossegor. What about a deal? I’ll make you the gun and you give me a repro, OK?

So, that was it. Remi delivered the painting to my place, asked for the color on his board (tinted deck and bottom with fluo green, red painted rails) and insisted that I call him when the board would be sanded and before applying gloss and polish so that he would come and play with Posca pens for a while. Here is the result of this common work:

Wow, Balsa, I really like that.  Good story too.

I make it a point to do some amount of color on every board.  I just think vanilla boards are boring.  So after seeing all the beautiful agave boards on IG, I decide to try to mimic a wooden stringer.  Here is my first attempt.  Taped off, sealed tape with spackle, blue acrylic wiped on, then a Martha Stewart (hate to drop names, but she is my gal) faux wood roller from Michaels Art and Surf supply, with a layer of brown paint over the blue.  Too heavy with the brown, but still acceptable.  

A few years ago, I saw a guy painting faux wood on boards; he was so good you had to look closely to detect it was painted. Even faux glue lines looked real; incredible; from a distance, you’d have sworn it was a balsa board. (The photo shows one I found on the web, not the one I am talking about. But it’s as good.)

Balsa - Love that green! 

Greg - lookin good. 

Not sure if I ever posted a photo of this board, forgive me if I did. 

A fish I did a while back for my buddy. He picked the fabrics and said he liked stained glass and granite. 

My Art School daughter came up with this.

1 Like

Love your work, Balsa.  Hope to see the finished piece.

What’s “soccer”?

One of my friends asked me to make him a replica of a Tuflite Hap Jacobs that he likes a lot. Wanted EPS/Epoxy so that the board would stay light. As you may have noticed, I’m not a big fan of epoxy; EPS is OK since I have a grit barrel on my Skil but I just don’t get along well with epoxy. Well, anyway it took me a lot of time but it seems that the result is OK as my friend just called me after a 3-hours session with the quad set-up and he was just enthusiastic.

1 Like

All great stuff guys!!

I like Sherbert.  Was just in Safeway last nite and remarked to the gal friend that I hadn’t had any sherbert in awhile.  Nice tape off too.  I’ve known quite a few painters who could pull a good line and found plenty of work on Surfboards but were not necessarily artists like Drew Brophy or John Glomb or our own Atomized.  Lowel

Just an experiment meant to cover up a dingy old Clark and compensate for a soft deck and future denting.  Got the pigments from Florian at Shapers Supply. Pete picked them up for me.  Basic Yellow, White and some sort of a tan to tone it down.  Lowel 

Mcding. That turned out nice. 

All the best

Miki’s Peeking around in the background.  I did the deck first.  I will opaque the bottom in the same color minus the 227 Vector Net.  Cut lap at the deck rail should be opaque enough to hide the edge, frays etc. on the V-Net at the rail Apex.  I’ll probably do as Greg Loerh did in his video and four ounce clear top and bottom with lams/logos underneath.  Going to do Fusions or Futures “post lam”.

Wow, its been almost 10 years ago I started this thread. Some very good stuff here, scroll through and enjoy!

1 Like