silmar resin wavy

Hi Guys,

Newbie here so not sure if this was posted before. I have been using sun cure resin for my repairs. I have now just invested in a quart of similar resin. The issue I am having with the similar is that my hot coat appears wavy. This did not happen at all with the sun cure. I am just trying ti figure out what is causing this or if this is just a variation in the resin types. I was thinking I am maybe not stirring the catalyst in enough for the resin type. I am doing about 10-15 stirs before applying. Any help would be greatly appreciated before this top coat turns out wavy too!

Thanks,

Josh

ALso forgot to add I do have a fan nearby- maybe this is the cause and the resin takes a little longer to set up and creates the waves

What do you mean by wavy? Is the surface textured and not smooth? Pics would help. I would also stir a lot more than that

…hello, do you say similar but without the UV powder so is a lamination resin or a hot coat resin?
Lamination resin never will cure totally and never be flat.
If it hot coat resin the problem is with the fan that you have there and may be too much MEKP so you did not let enough time to the wax rise up and with the fan you adding more bonus to this situation.

Now the solution is to apply another coat with brush of course, no fan; no matter if the wax raised and this new coat does not adhere well, because is only to have non sticky surface to sand it flat again.

In The first image you can see the gloss coat on the tail using the suncure resin. The other two are only hot coated but done with plain silmar resin. I am finding the similar resin top coat isn’t taking out the low points as the suncure resin did. I did mix it a bit more on my second attempt and it did seam to set up a little better.I am maybe thinking the suncure has the wax in it and maybe i need to add wax to the silmar? I think by not having the wax it maybe wasn’t able to smooth out the surface as well.

…looks like it have the wax, so the problem is what I mentioned: fan+not enough time to let the resin flatten out+bad working with the brush.
In any case you can sand flat all the stuff then apply the gloss coat then sand and polish.

Sun -Cure resin is nothing more than Silmar 249 A or B with UV Powder added and pre mixed. Packaged in cans with a Sun-Cure label. Go to Sun-Cure’s website and they will confirm what I have stated. The wavy resin is a result of not catalyzing your resin hot enough. Not enough catalyst. You don’t have 'this problem with UV (Sun-Cure) because it immediately starts to set as soon as it is exsposed to UV light. Even under flurouescent it starts the process and will eventually harden even if not exposed to direct UV Light. Top or hotcoats need to be catalyze much hotter than a lam. If not they will run and continue to flow until set. You are also probably not catalyzing based on air temp.

Yes you have to add surfacing agent to plain old Silmar lam resin. . I have done so much UV it isn’t funny. Hotcoat; a cap full of styrene wax soulution in a quart of UV. Walk it outside and count to 10 or 20. Put it back on the rack inside and let the wax rise until it looks milky or sort of oil in water. When it gets to that point put it outside to completely cure. Catalyze hotcoat; 15 cc in a quart to a quart and a half of lam resin with a cap of wax/styrene. Work fast and at a 70-- 80 degree temp it will go off before it can run or “slab”.

Too much air moving over the surface.

I don’t know what made him think he needs that fan. Does nothing to help matters. How you been Gene? Things look in’ up?? Lowel