simmons

i have a question: i think skip frye shapes a board called a fish simmons – apparently usually 10’+ with a fish-like tail AND (here is the meat of the question) a concave running from 40" back till the tail. (can anyone verify?) the question is: did simmons have similar concaves on the boards he shaped? if so what does such a concave accomplish? has anyone ridden either a simmons replica or a frye fishsimmons? thanks

i have a question:>>> i think skip frye shapes a board called a fish simmons – apparently > usually 10’+ with a fish-like tail AND (here is the meat of the question) > a concave running from 40" back till the tail. (can anyone verify?) > the question is: did simmons have similar concaves on the boards he > shaped? if so what does such a concave accomplish? has anyone ridden > either a simmons replica or a frye fishsimmons?>>> thanks I’m not familiar with the simmons board you refer too. But one thing I can tell you is that in glassy conditions concaves do offer a measure of lift and make a board feel lighter and quicker under foot. But I wonder how the forward and mid section contors affect the concaves the tail section of a long board. When it starts to get choppy boards with alot of concave will begin to chatter and pound and so don’t track as well as a flat board with a slightly veed tail section. There are as many way to approach bottom configuration as there are shapers. So I would hope those with years of experience will share their insights into how bottom concaves affect board performance. Good Surfin’, Rich

Tim, I read a Skip Frye interview where he discusses the motivation behind the Frye Fish that he shaped for Tommy Curren and Derek Hynd in the early 90’s. Because of his fascination with speed, Skip said that he looked to George Greenough’s spoons and Simmons’ boards. The article talks a little more about the birth of the fish up to Skip’s ultra-longboard phase and how he was influenced by Simmons’ designs. I can e-mail you the rest of the story if you’re interested.

Tim’s post inquired whether Simmons’ boards had concaves similar to the Frye “fish simmons” - a concave running from 40" back till the tail. I have a picture of a late '40s to early '50s Simmons twin fin which does indeed have a concave bottom – although on this twin fin, the concave appears to be in the middle and not running from 40" back till the tail. I’ve seen pictures of other Simmons twin fins which do not have concaves. It appears that Simmons was trying everything - and Velzy was just as innovative from the early ‘50s on. In response to Tim’s posts about Skip’s shapes, Skips boards often have subtle concaves. I have an 11’ swish tail “big boy” version of Skip’s favorite big wave board. Under the glassing lights, Skip used the big ruler to show me the subtle concaves on each side of the stringer in the middle part of the bottom, running into subtle Vs on both sides of the stringer to the tail. It is the fastest board that I have ever owned. I am not worthy to own such a board. rory

Tim’s post inquired whether Simmons’ boards had concaves similar to the > Frye “fish simmons” - a concave running from 40" back till > the tail.>>> I have a picture of a late '40s to early '50s Simmons twin fin which does > indeed have a concave bottom – although on this twin fin, the concave > appears to be in the middle and not running from 40" back till the > tail.>>> I’ve seen pictures of other Simmons twin fins which do not have concaves.>>> It appears that Simmons was trying everything - and Velzy was just as > innovative from the early ‘50s on.>>> In response to Tim’s posts about Skip’s shapes, Skips boards often have > subtle concaves. I have an 11’ swish tail “big boy” version of > Skip’s favorite big wave board. Under the glassing lights, Skip used the > big ruler to show me the subtle concaves on each side of the stringer in > the middle part of the bottom, running into subtle Vs on both sides of the > stringer to the tail.>>> It is the fastest board that I have ever owned. I am not worthy to own > such a board.>>> rory Rory Wicks, Thanking to you!! Such is the truth of! If one is not worthy, then why not to give it away to such as one of us? Many of those who Swaylocks are posters would enjoy owning such finely equipment! “Thanking to you in advance” for your generously offer to Swaylocks posters! Fastest board, big 11` board with the concaves one thinks would be very good for the large of crowds of bookie boardsers. Think about the possibilities of: go right? go left? Get revolved bookies! MY WAVE!! No more problems. Thanking much to you, Wicks!

thanks for the great info

Tim, I read a Skip Frye interview where he discusses the motivation behind > the Frye Fish that he shaped for Tommy Curren and Derek Hynd in the early > 90’s. Because of his fascination with speed, Skip said that he looked to > George Greenough’s spoons and Simmons’ boards. The article talks a little > more about the birth of the fish up to Skip’s ultra-longboard phase and > how he was influenced by Simmons’ designs. I can e-mail you the rest of > the story if you’re interested. AJL, Pardon me for hornin’ in on a conversation… But I would really enjoy reading that story if you wouldn’t mind CC’ing me with that e-mail.= . Thanks pal. Magoo