Single fin suggestion for 9-6 california gun

I’m finishing up some remedial work on this wood board, & hoping to get it out in the water after my hip surgery.

I really like the new high aspect ratio fin on my 9-0 rounded pin, so looking for something similar. The two I found below are available in 9 1/2".

The board will not be ridden in large waves, maybe a little overhead at best, point break surf.

I’d go with the top one.  

OK, I’m gonna listen to the voice of experience, I ordered the top one.  And just to hedge my bet, I ordered a second fin with a nice shape.

Purchased from Cleanline.com, so far I am happy with their ordering process, if everything arrives save and sound I will be pleased as punch!

I think either one will be fine in waves up to overhead+.  I don’t remember what the tail width is on the board but it looks capable of riding big stuff.

Very cool board. I suggest take the surface area of your single fin and divide by three, make thruster glass on wood fins to match board.

I have a 9’3"  x 22 x 3 with a narrow pintail single fin in which I always used a 9.5 inch fin.  Solid and reliable good all arounder in both  small and big surf that I designed it for.

One time, for a reason I can’t remember back in 2011 or so, I did not have the usual 9.5 inch fin to put in it, but I did have an 8.5 inch fin, so in that went, and the board woke up to an incredible degree. It went amazing with abosolutely no indication it was underfinned.  Looser and quicker and plenty of hold.

Previous to trying this smaller fin, I was indifferent to whether the major stress cracks in the hull allowed it to snap in half.

After using it with the smaller 8.5 fin, I decided that the board was simply too good to let break in half and went through a rather ridiculous amout of labor to insure it would not break in half and would endure.

The board gained nealry 5 Lbs.

I made a Zebrawood  and Sapele fin for it, closely resembling the 8.5 inch deep fin Which woke it up, but I added a little bit more tip area well back before I came to question the actual  function of  extended raked tips in traditional longboarding.

My first wave on it after the rebuild, was a  waist high left in which I got 3 very good turns off, and kicked out laughing maniacally.  The much reduced flex and added weight, if anything, helped the board surf better.

Narrow single fin pintails do not need 9.5 inch deep fins in my experience.  If I never tried this board with an 8.5 inch fin it would be in at least 2 pieces in a landfill somewhere, and I would not have so many awesome memories of incredible rides that I’ve had on it since.

Kudos to you.     You have revealed one of surfings dirty little secrets.       Most people over fin thier boards.    My own experiences have led me to settle on fins of 8 inch depth, or less.      For the majority of my boards, whether intended for large waves, or small, I use fins in the 7 inch to 7.625 inch depth range.      The board I’m riding, in my avatar photo, has a 7 inch deep fin.     I wish I could give you 10 LIKES.     You can take your board’s performance to the next level, by installing a thick well foiled fin.       It is a real eye opener.

Cool responses, the kind of commentary I was hoping to tap into. Lots of food for thought, and room for experimenting.

The only thing I didn’t get, that I was kinda hoping for, is a lead on a super cool WOOD fin to complement the board.

But I had in a previous thread discussed the positive changes in performance from switching to a fin with less area, so its interesting to me to read the comments in this thread…

I have a wood fin that would compliment that board.  It’s a RFC approx the same template as the fin you bought. I’ll take a picture in the morning and post it up. 

I’d put a fat Brewer fin on it - period correct.  Like 3/4" at the base.  With that tail width you shouldn’t need more that 8" or so.  Maybe 8.5"     You’re going to get your drive from all that wetted rail line.   

You’ve got time and talent - why don’t you take a swing at making you own fin?   Take a 1/2" panel of good ply, glass one side of it with several layers of 6oz and then template the two halves and glass them together with the “glass” sides forming the center line and spine.   You’ll get a good strong halo and the wood will keep the weight down.   Mill the tab before you start foiling - with the fiberglass spine the wood base won’t break.  

I’m getting a chubby just thinking about it.   

Here you go Huck

Hey gdaddy I may do that, hopefully in a few months I might have the circumstances again to give it a go - unless i happen upon an awesome wood fin already made, that fills the bill :slight_smile:

I’ve been searching Rainbow Fins looking for the wood fin that was mentioned.

I’ve made a few wood fins over the years, so once I find the size and shape I like best, I could attempt to reproduce it in wood, maybe even fatten it up a bit.

I don’t Know about the August and whether or not it is still in production at RFC, but they also do a very nice wooden Yater.