Skil Model 100 Vacuum Dust Collector

Hi all, I’ve been a long time lurker on Sway Locks. A mechanical engineer by training and after a few years of shaping out of my buddy’s dirty garage, I finally decided to build my own shapers studio here in Santa Cruz. It’s been 6 months of work, but it’s turned into a beautiful space. A self-admitted workspace geek, the whole project has spiraled a bit out of control. 

When it came to dust collection, I was surprised to find there weren’t better solutions for vacuum attachments for the Skil Model 100 planer. 

As a perk of the job I have access to a 3D printer, so I sketched up something in Solidworks and printed it out. I thought I’d share.

The assembly is four pieces:

1x Vacuum Adaptor - 3D printed out of Accura Xtreme (ABS-like plastic)

2x Neodynium Magnets - 1" x 1/4" x 0.1" (McMaster-Carr p/n 5848K68), Epoxied into the Vacuum adaptor

1x Steel Adaptor Plate - Machined from 0.052" Coated Low Carbon Steel (McMaster-Carr p/n 2102T37)

The Steel Adaptor Plate slides into the groove in the Skil normally used for the dust chute. Then the Vacuum Adaptor self-locates and clicks into place via magnets. Easy on, easy off. No modification to the Skil and no tools required. 

I tied it all into the vacuum line using a Clark Foam Slinky Hose from FoamEZ and a 1.5" x 1.5" Swivel vacuum adaptor from Mr Nozzle (via Amazon). 

The system could be made fairly inexpensively, although I unfortunately doubt the collective market of surfboard shapers who are still using Skil Model 100s is big enough to justify manufacturing on a scale for it to be cost effective. 

Happy to share files for those who have access to a 3D printer.

Dude ranch,

Very nice work!

The “slinky hose” is the bomb.

Robbed a design from this site.

Hand shaped foam, mold release hand laid fiberglass overlay.

Eh handmade for hand shaping!

Don’t take this wrong!

Necessity is the Mother of invention!

Make long ago…

Prior to the 3D printer.

Best!

Hi Mattwho, 

Thanks for the compliment. I like your vacuum adaptor as well!

I was laughing to myself because I think I’d really struggle to make an adaptor the way you’ve done it. I suppose that lands me squarely as a Gen Y shaper…

I’m not sure that I understood you correctly, but respectfully, the design is not remotely stolen from this site. I did a pretty exhaustive search before posting. I’m fairly sure that magnets latching against a steel plate is unique. 

Peter

It is in this application.     A long time friend, Alan Nelson,  (a late 50’s NS pioneer, and talented shaper/designer) used magnets imbeded in the fusalage of an aircraft he designed, to secure the fuel filler cover.     Super clean, with hairline seams.      Your application is, in a word, outstanding.      Quite well done, and shares the thoughtful treatment, that Alan’s work displayed.      Welcome aboard, you lurk no more.  

I’ll take one.

Naw, I meant Me.

If it is in the archives I don’t think it is stealing.

LOL!

As with most anything

there is always room for improvements.

Keep up the good work!

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/skil-100-dust-chute

Me too. All the best

Dude, thanks for the thread. Here is one made of heavy paper, 2 oz fiberglass, and epoxy resin. -J

Nice one Jrandy!

Sorry for the misunderstanding Mattwho!

Nice patina on that Skil J.

Friend of mine made the Vac shoot for me made from steel sheet and a tube that was ovalized at the planer end. (Planer on the left)

Welded, bullet proof.

The printed one does look nice though.

May have to get one for my Type 5.

You selling them Dude?

very cool thanks for sharing!!!

After a few dusty months, I finally found the time to finish up the Vacuum system for my shape shack.

It wasn’t easy to piece together the system so I’ve included all the details if anybody wants to reproduce it. 

On the first version of the Skil adaptor, I found that magnets worked great for a quick attach/detach mechanism, but it only took a little tug on the vacuum hose to twist the adaptor off. I redesigned the adaptor to follow the body of the planer, and added a velcro strap to the Hose Swivel. As the photos show, you can still easily disconnect the magnets from the steel plate to clear potential clogs without taking off the strap (No Clogs yet!). 

For a Vacuum I found a great 1.5HP model with a Metal Collection Drum that sits in the corner (General International BT8008). It also comes with a wall hanging bracket which could be handy depending upon your space… 

I found a blue 1.5" Vacuum hose (Model #315) from Mr Nozzle that doesn’t distract the eye too badly from the blue walls. This is routed up along the walls via 2" Cushion Clamps. From a central location in the ceiling of my shop it connects to the Clark Slinky hose which runs to the planer. It took a few adaptors from Mr Nozzle to make this all happen (Part #s 5, 9, 17)

It took a 4" Elbow and Reducer to hook the Vacuum into the 1.5" hose, also from Rockler (Dust Right® 4’’ to 2-1/4’’ Shop Vacuum Tool Port Adapter, Rockler Dust Right® Quick Connect 4’’ Elbow).

The main power cord for the planer runs from a Rockler Extension Cord Reel (p/n 20323) which allows for some length adjustment. To keep all the cables out of the way during use, I rewired the Skil to use a coiled power cord (Power First 1TNB8) so it would coil and uncoil with the Slinky Hose. I added a velcro strap halfway along the coiled length to keep them together. 

I plugged the vacuum into a relay switch from Rockler that turns on automatically with the planer and turns it off 5 seconds after the planer is turned off (i-socket 110m). 

I considered having everything hang down from the center of the room, but I didn’t like the idea of having a vacuum hose hanging down and distracting the view for handshaping operations. Instead I decided to run power/vacuum from high on the front wall so it would all tuck away when not in use as shown.

Overall I couldn’t be happier with the system. Planing is now a dust-free, tangle-free pleasant experience!

I’m considering maybe making a mold to produce more of the Vacuum Adaptors, and water jet cutting the plate for the Skil. Send me a PM if you’re interested. I might also bring a couple of sets of the 3D printed versions down to the Boardroom Show in Del Mar this Spring.

Take 'er easy!

Brilliant. When can you come do my shop? I’m feeling overwhelmed and after seeing yours, inadequate. I really like the coiled power cord idea. 

All the best

Getting major shop envy…Place looks awesome.

Nice work!  

my shop is such a dump <hangs head in shame>

I built a couple. Went back to old school. Hoses just got in my way. Jim the Genius Phillips once said somethig to this effect…“If you don’t like dust you need to do something else”

cleanlines, check your PM

Thanks guys for all the compliments!!

Shop envy is right

For anyone with access to a printer…here is the link to my port design.