Skil Planer Advice. Help!

Hello again internet. I’m in the market for my first planer. I’ve only shaped a couple boards so far but am 1000% positive shaping will be a lifelong journey for me. So far I’ve been using my boss’s model 100 5.5 amp and have not used anything besides that. A friend has a model 100 7.5 amp that he says has been meticulously cared for and is asking $850. Is this a good deal? What should I look for when looking for a skil? How is the 5.5 amp different from the 7.5 amp? Should I even get a skil? Experts help me!

That’s a good price for a well cared for 7.5a in this day and age. The increased amps will help you cut through wide stringers a little easier. Ask him to send you pictures and post them back here. If it’s original paint, the visible condition of the planer is a good indicator of how much used / how well it was cared for.

Some simple tests you can do… run it make sure you don’t smell anything burning and that bearings sound like they’re running smoothly. Look for cracks in the front or rear shoe - this happens from planers being dropped and are detrimental. Ask him the last time bearings, belt and brushes were changed - these are all changed with regular use.

1 Like

Thanks a ton

I think it is worth the money if you are shaping big boards (and of course for the legendary aspect of the tool)

I find makitas or hitachis more convenient for smaller work
Plus they’re easy to find, to maintain, and can also be modified pretty easily (just my two cents)

Best is to own both, the only risk is to get planer disease and start buying a lot of em’ :melting_face:

1 Like

I agree with @T4nk, the Skil 100’s are legendary tools - mostly because they were all that was available back in the day - and are rugged and built for heavy use, albeit being on the heavy side. The Hitachi and Makita planers are fine tools in their own right: lighter, easier to maintain, and both lend themselves well to long and short builds alike. I have an early model Hitachi F20A, for instance, modified by Clark Foam for board shaping, that still runs like a top with minimum maintenance. Even as a collector’s item, $850 for SKill 100 in good condition is an investment.