Smudged Artwork After Glass

Here’s the thing…

I did freehand art with a paint pen on the first lam bottom coat.  I wanted some extra glass for some extra strength and threw down a strip of 4oz.  When I got to squeegeeing I noticed the art was running :frowning:

QUESTION:  if I retrace over the now thinned out art to bring it back with a paint pen, will it just smudge again when I go to do the sand coat with a brush?  Dammit I am SO pissed.

Why you did it on the laminated glass… who knows. 

Looks like it bled and the whole board is darker now.

If it bled, then yes it will bleed again. Wrong paint, not compatible with resin 

Much easier to do art on the blank or the hotcoat. 

Hotcoat, sand FLAT, get a paint that is good, retrace and rehotcoat or gloss coat. 

There is 10 times as much to learn and grow from a messed up board as there is to one that goes perfectly smoothly. Understand it’s a long game, enjoy the walk. 

Thanks for the advice,

I’ve heard of people spraying a mat clear coat acrylic before sand coat.  Since the next layer is a sandcoat, do you think there would be bleeding if I tried that… I dunno…

It’s always a good idea to let paint dry for at least 24 hours before applying resin. 

It was 72 hours, SUPER dry.  Weird thing is I tested this method on a large piece of scrap foam a week ago and it worked well.  I think it was the squeegeeing over a larger area, back & forth that caused it to squish in between the layers of glass and smear.

I just left it alone after I saw what was happening, scraped away what tainted resin I could into the bucket.

Micah at Mitch’s told me to leave it, glass the deck, do the hot coat, sand and reapply the artwork in India ink, (which doesn’t bleed) and try to use the smears and ink for a rustic, sprayed on look.  I muh try that.

Not all Paint Pens are the same. Might help if you said what Brand of Paint Pen and if it used an Acylic Paint/Ink. 

I found out the hard way.  

Was it poly? Or epoxy? If poly, it’s the styrene that makes the paint run (not necessarily the styrene you add, it’s already in the drum).

I’ve never tried to paint on laminated glass, but whenever I apply paint to the foam I just give it a light coat of matte acryclic spray (just out of a rattle can) before glassing. Similarly, if painting on a finished board, just sand smooth (320 / 400 'ish) then paint, then either pro-finish and be done with it or spray a light coat of acrylic. You can also use grout sealer, just wipe on with a cloth. It seals really well and leaves a stain resistant matte finish.

The gold statement…“not all paint pens are created equal.”

I’m sorry for your loss, but next time you will be spot on.