So many TERRIBLE ding repair videos on Youtube...

put me on team tuneup. I let my dings accumulate (duct tape here too) then i sand the whole board, fill in all the dings, and finish with a thin coat of epoxy over everything, and its back in the rotation.

“I hate ding repair - rather just make a new board haha.”

Hahaha Totally!
Lately I have been doing ding repair on OTHER people’s boards… my own boards have dings over a year old. Duct tape is my friend.

there are many better solutions that are more waterproof and leave less gunk behind. Clear plastic packing tape, for example… try it next time.

Clear packing tape was all I used for years when I lived in the condo across from Ala Moana Park. They didn’t allow surfboard in the elevators, but they did have surfboard racks with locks for us. Sometimes I’d stuff a fresh ding with wax just to keep it from soaking water then put on the clear tape when I got home.

sammyA has fully chastised me yet I remain incorigible (I have never had any problems) - I think the issues arise from leaving it on too long).

Do any of you guys know about electricians tape? It comes in 1/2" and 1" widths,
stretches and conforms to curves if you don’t pull it too tight. For big dings it
overlaps and seals well.
Back in the late '90s I taped a couple of dings on a board and didn’t fix it until I
gave the board away to a student 10+ years later. The airbrush underneath had
not faded like the rest of the board, but the ding was water tight, and made the
repair easy. Duct-Tape, is porous and does nothing to seal up a ding. You might
as well leave it open to the salt water. Packing tape is sensitive to UV. Some of it
has water soluble adhesive so I wouldn’t recommend it. When I go on surf trips
away from any reasonable repair shop, I pack UV resin, 4 oz. glass, cat, sandpaper
q cell & electrical tape! Worked well for the last 20 yrs or so. Just my 2c…

hi surfteach the ducttape i use is waterproof and keeps the foam dry thats why i use it. I know about elec tape, I’m a contractor. Thats why i have duct tape, But I don’t leave it on for 10 years, usually its a week or so before i get a chance to seal the ding. I’m gonna remember that tip tho in case i ever go on a 10 year surf trip! In fact I think I’m about due for one right now! :slight_smile:

An alternative for temporary ding coverage is a mylar sticker. Like, any old sticker you get with a surf product.
Pretty much the same as mylar/packing tape.

Another one is the metal foil tape that is waterproof. Epoxy putty is good too you can even put it on wet. Works well for a while by itself but will eventually crack but you can sand it back and lay glass over it to make permanent.

The putty is real good for nose and tail tips as it is a ‘shapable’ filler

Was on the beach the other day waxing my board, inspecting a few dings and a Gorilla came came sliding up on two feet and a knuckle. Beat his chest with one hand, grunted and handed me a roll of black looking tape. Spun around on his haunches and did the chimpanzee move down the street. Lowel

tsk tsk

I really enjoyed those videos! Chris

hahaha I thought I was the only one letting dings accumulate. I’m in WideAWAKE´s team “hate ding repair”.
My boards are a mess, full dings repaired with UV cure resin, just filling the hole, not even sanding it. When it has too much dings I just retire it and make a new one (if I have time)