So many TERRIBLE ding repair videos on Youtube...

So much misinformation…
So bad… I hope folks are NOT “learning” from these videos… But, judging from the comments, people are.

Here are a couple examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jTQIwSq18w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2riyAIQ_4Qk&t=4s

And, to be fair, there are some really good videos too…
Here’s a good one imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrrM4iVPVX4

You think those are bad you should watch some shaping videos.

Sad, and comical, at the same time.

I skimmed through one of them and got a chuckle. The wooden skewers. Oh my.

That they would take the time to put this up on YT is just crazy vanity?

The first one makes the common mistake of thinking dowels will add strength or help line up the halves.
The second one has so much wrong with it he should delete the video and stay off youtube. A commenter said “Wow, I’ve been doing it wrong”. Well, don’t use that vid as a yardstick, for sure.

I saw another years ago done by some young girl. One thing she said was that after applying resin to the glass patch you wait for the glass to “melt”. Not kidding.

One more example of the pitfalls of the net. Anyone can declare themselves an expert and the less informed believe it.

…SammyA, regarding those experts there are many in the industry too. There s one in Peru, the guy is from Argentina I think, they are T Patterson there and everywhere in S America, the guy has a big ego and also does (the machine and crew) boards with his brand; poor quality but people hands down on him…He and many others talk big and out loud about shaping, surfboards, design but in reality they do not know the how to s and never worked at all.
Plenty of these ones going to Bali to “shape”, so the misinformation and misguidance is in the industry too and sells like hot cakes.

I was much more interested in this suggested video from YouTube when I was watching the ding repair.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j-e0pP6UIHk

Soon to take the world by storm!

Aww yeah!
That’s what’s hot!

How do we all feel about this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lkge7reEaw

Hey Sammy, So what did you find to be wrong in the second video? I also found many things to be wrong. He didn’t sand around the ding before filling. I thought he was pretty sloppy and those fiberglass patches could have been cut way cleaner. Also did he reccomend use sanding resin with filler to fill the ding? I def don’t agree with that. What else should be avoided in that video for those trying to learn proper ding repair techniques?

I might have removed more of the glass. Depends on the extent of the damage, of course. Otherwise, he did it correctly. He left out some info, as evidenced by a lot of the questions in the comments. For instance, somebody asked about the “hot coat”. It would be good if he explained what that is. People with no clue need things spelled out. And, I would never use my shirt to wipe off the dust. Use a cheap brush or a damp rag, at least.
Many of the questions posted are a good example of why people need to be spoon fed their info.

[Quote=Surfer O] So what did you find to be wrong in the second video?
[/quote]

You hit on most of it.
Sloppy. Ragged glass patch. Didn’t prep correctly (sanding).
Also, used his fingers and didn’t wear gloves. Should have done a tape dam on the filler then taped right over it to lessen the lumps and thus make it easier to sand.
Don’t see why sanding resin can’t be used for filler? I’ve done it hundreds of times when that’s all I had on hand. Makes no difference if you’re going to sand the hell out of it, anyway.

Good point. I just figured why add S.A. to your filler/Lam resin mix when in my experience Lam resin mixed with q-cell sands just fine. But if you only have sanding resin yea no problem there. Thanks Sammy A

I like the idea of using a water soluble filler like sugar, especially on a surf trip. When the ding leaks, you can suck on it for a treat while you are in the line-up for a little extra energy! You know it will leak as he sands all the way through both layers of cloth. I like the fact that he has a power sander with him on a surf trip. Just the thing I would pack, along with a giant sheet of 6 oz. cloth and enough resin to do a full shortboard sanding coat. Just 2 wrong…
PS: I seem to be the designated ding repairer on any surf trip I end up on…

b

oh god
bigger patch allways first, thats the first repair lesson stuff.

I’m surprised he didn’t mention the importance of/or remove more wax from the deck area. Is it just me or does he almost appear to be sanding wax down into where he needs the most ideal “mechanical bond”, and also brushing over wax and dust when hot coating? I would have rid the surrounding area of any wax before beginning sanding. I also would have a bit more glass / made my largest patch of glass come out to the outside edge his tape it depends on the severity of the damage, on second look its not as bad as I thought so maybe not. I have always thought biggest patch down first too and have had a few people try and tell me otherwise, I always point them to a diagram such as this ; http://epoxyworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Fig1.jpg .
I have been a long time follower of this site and have benefited greatly from the wealth of knowledge it holds and have decided that I should try and be a more active member of the site by actually contributing and putting my thoughts out there. Big thanks to all the contributors who have helped myself and many others with so much helpful info.

Also I was told never wipe a board with your shirt, I usually blow it with compressed air or sometimes I will wipe the repair with some Styrene Monomer before doing a polyester hot coat

Good one reverb. Made me smile with the sells like “hot cakes” thing. Argentina= Elova foam=. Mucho worm holes.

I am on Team Smallest Patch First.

When you sand, you only touch one layer of glass… also, it helps smooth the transitions from layer to layer…

Well if we’re joining teams … Put me on team just jam some wax in there and slap a piece of duct tape on it, it’ll be fine.

I hate ding repair - rather just make a new board haha.

Chris would not like my ding repair videos haha.