So sad to hear of Brad's passing

Basham’s influence on the California surf scene is often under-appreciated. Amazing amount of boards came out of that factory as well as support for the shaping community. So supportive and helpful to us. He will be sorely missed. RIP! (Would have posted on the earlier thread but the website blocked me from doing so. Sorry for any redundancy)

Brad’s low key influence on surfing is reflected in Grubby’s 2005 top ten customer list ranked by number of blanks purchased:

</td>
	</tr>
	<tr height="18">
		<td height="18"><span><span><span><span><span>Channel Island Surfboards&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;19937</span></span></span></span></span></td>
	</tr>
	<tr>
		<td height="18" width="197"><span><span><span><span><span>Brad Basham Surfboards&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 18235</span></span></span></span></span></td>
	</tr>
	<tr height="18">
		<td height="18"><span><span><span><span><span>Mitch's North&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 11568</span></span></span></span></span></td>
	</tr>
	<tr height="18">
		<td height="18"><span><span><span><span><span>Foam E-Z&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 9507</span></span></span></span></span></td>
	</tr>
	<tr height="18">
		<td height="18"><span><span><span><span><span>Mitch's Surf Shop&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 6099</span></span></span></span></span></td>
	</tr>
	<tr height="18">
		<td height="18"><span><span><span><span><span>Becker Boards&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;4803</span></span></span></span></span></td>
	</tr>
	<tr height="18">
		<td height="18"><span><span><span><span><span>Lost Surfboards&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 5440</span></span></span></span></span></td>
	</tr>
	<tr height="18">
		<td height="18"><span><span><span><span><span>Stewart Sports&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 2671</span></span></span></span></span></td>
	</tr>
	<tr height="18">
		<td height="18"><span><span><span><span><span>Rusty Preisendorfer&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 4542</span></span></span></span></span></td>
	</tr>
</tbody>

Telling stats…  Sorry to see him gone.  It may hurt some egos, but I always think of something he told me once.  “There’s no shortage of good shapers”.

Particularly true in this area. And damn near all of them bought supplies from Brad. 

Really hope they can keep the business going.  

Can’t remember their names, but he had a couple of good employees up front that knew the operation very well and made decisions based on Brad’s policy.  His wife came and went with him from time to time, but don’t know how involved she was.  I’m sure Brad would want to see the business continue.  I barely knew Brad, but he always remembered me and had the time to stop and talk story.   Mitch’s in La Jolla is another one.  Been there forever.  Bought my first Clark blanks from Mitch himself in 1969.   Anyone know if he still runs that shop?   Lowel

Just got off the phone a bit earlier with BB and heard that Brad’s memorial was today.  Sad to hear.  He did say that the guys at the shop were going to try to keep it going.  But, they need help.  Laminators, ding repair and fin installers.  I am sure Brad would want to see Basham’'s continue.  If you’re down near the Ghetto and are looking for an opportunity to get into the Surf Industry Craft;  Bashan’s is a good place to start or use the skills you already have to move up.  In memory of Brad Basham.    Lowel

Mitch is seemingly there everytime I stop in, assume he still runs it.  Still sells blanks which is cool. 

Marko tells me they are still buying blanks.  So they must be trying to carrying on.

That’s good.  A certain legend told me if I was ever down there and wanted to look him up, Mitch would know where he is.  Gotta go down there and goof off a bit.  Lowel

They’re still open but cash only at the moment while they figure out the banking situation since it’s all in Brads name. I’m sure right now they could use all the support they can get. Without Bashams I definitely wouldn’t be as deep into shaping as I am. Grateful every day for Brad and what he built for the community. He always was one to say hey first if I had my head down and didn’t see him. Not super often you get a legend being the one to actively make an average grom feel comfortable and welcome in their space.

Brad’s paddle out is at Doheny at 2pm on May 6th. 

More Info on Brad’s Memorials: