Solo Skiff

Anyone has one or know of someone who has a Solo Skiff, I would like to get their feedback regarding the craft. https://www.soloskiff.com/. It looks likes concept that I was trying to do with my fishing SUPs and motorized fishing surfboards.

I have been thinking about buying one ever since they first came out. I have a 23 foot Mako center console which requires a slip and insurance. The slip, insurance and spring prep for my boat costs more than one of these SoloSkiffs. There are a couple of dealers near me that carry them. They are nice. I also have a pair of sea kayaks and there is a municipal kayak launch about 300 yards from my house. I’ve thought about ditching the boat and kayaks and getting a pair of SoloSkiffs…one for me and one for my son so we can fish the backwaters around my house.

Here on the mainland the hull will set you back $1,800 and the motor about the same. The original ones were fiberglass but now they are rotomolded like a kayak.

I have also considered using my boardbuilding skills to design and build something like this on my own.

I am about two blocks from the water. I was thinking about using a kayak carrier to wheel it down to the beach, Are the boats well built and is the company that makes them solid. I already have a 2.5 motor that I can use to putt around on. Mahalo for the reply!

Yes. They are well built like a hobie kayak. The company hasn’t been around long…3 or 4 years so not much of a track record. A surf shop not far from me actually sells them.

For my kayaks I’ve made dollys like the one pictured below. I used bigger wheels than the picture from Harbor Freight. On flat ground on the sidewalk it actually takes less effort than carrying a gallon of milk. Its all about having the dolly at the balance point. The SoloSkiff is about the same weight as when I load both of my kayaks on the dolly at the same time. No problem at all on flat ground. A steep hill or launch ramp might be a challenge.

Lots of videos on youtube. This one might interest you.

Nice little hand trailer Mako. Did you use 1.25" or 1.5" sched. 40 PVC? Looks too small to be 2".
Reducer bushing and full length axle?

The picture is not mine but I used the same basic design. I used 1.75" schedule 40. 13" wheels from harbor Freight and Galvanized electrical conduit for an axle. Spent about $50 on the bits & pieces.

Looking at That little skiff made me think of the old Sunfish sailboats that use to be everywhere Until Hobie Cats came along. If you found one in good condition with a few modifications You could have something like that skiff. A Lot of those old board were Plywood with fiberglass over construction a bit heavy.

Wasn’t somebody on here asking about a beach launchable boat?
here it is!

Ok for calm back waters but take that out where Chris P. is talking and the wind comes up…

Looks more like a Laser hull to me. If you were to use your board building skills to build one, there could be a lot of custom modifications… Rod holders, tackle lockers, dry storage etc.

I spoke to the owner of Solo Skiff and they indicated that they have no dealers here. Most of the kayak distributors don’t like motors on their kayak crafts are reluctant to bring this product in. The local Hobie distributor Windward Boats told me that he can go 10 miles on his peddle kayak so why should he bring in a motorized kayak like craft. He did provide me with contact information of other customers who inquired about the Solo Skiff. This baffled me because he know there is a local market here and the craft is perfect for Kaneohe and Kailua Bay. Also their company can sell the trailers, outboards and accessories that the Solo Skiff requires, I got in touch with one of the other customers that is trying to get the craft too, and we may form a HUI to bring it in ourselves to reduce the shipping cost. Frustrated in Hawaii.

Kudos to you. I hope you pull it off, and become the ‘‘Kayak King’’ of Hawai’i.

You could contact a dealer and arrange to ship one. Root Beer Barrel Surf Shop in Brigantine, New Jersey is a SoloSkiff dealer. You might want to contact the owner there and see what you can arrange. I know he is closed for the winter though right now. Pretty sure he comes back from Florida in March or April.

The beauty is you could beach it…

Mako’s idea might be the best way to get a Solo Skiff soon.
Might be cheaper to have one shipped by a West Coast dealer. San Diego, CA?
After everybody sees yours and wants one, you become the HI dealer.

https://www.soloskiff.com/order/

I finally got my Solo Skiff. Here it is on the sandbar in Kaneohe Bay.

Congrats!!! Saw the picture on facebook. So what do you think? Caught any Mahi yet from it?

I really like it. It can go with just a 4 hp. I need to make a little wider turns and watch out for side chop. I wish it was a little lighter and easier to carry. I think it’s a great boat for the money.