Sometimes an Old Surfboard, is just an Old Surfboard

Just because a board is old, aka vintage, DOESN’T mean there is some special value that can be ascribed to it. However, an old surfboard that was owned, shaped, or ridden by a notable surfer, MAY command a higher value because of that association. The first, or the last board, shaped by a notable shaper, may also fall into that category. Special models, prototypes of breakthrough designs, or special purpose boards (like big wave Guns) can also have premium value attached to them.

So what?

Some may have disagreed with my comments about the “pop out” discussed in a previous thread. Never the less any old board is NOT just an old board to someone who appreciates that board for personal reasons, local history or the emotion it may evoke in the owner or those who may have some emotional connection to that individual board, board label, surf shop, owner or shaper. I repeat Mr. Seymour’s advice to me regarding collection and evaluating old surfboards, art, sculpture etc. “Lowel, Never buy anything that you wouldn’t hang or your own wall”.

Best one i know of.
WOW!

Lowel, I don’t disagree with what you have written above. My whole point was spelled out in the thread title. ‘‘Sometimes an old surfboard, is just an old surfboard.’’ I pointed out a number of aspects of ‘‘value’’ that may be perceived. You did the same. Just depends on who’s looking at the particular board. Too many folks think that being old alone, imparts a special value. You and I both know there is more to it than that.

true, some old surfboards are just old surfboards. But they’re still kinda cool, I would hope they could be cleaned up and used in some kind of decorative fashion at the very least. By nature, surfboards are built to be expendable and temporary; not too many even make it to old age. I think 3 or 4 years is the average life span for a modern daily driver type board. So by the very nature of being an old surfboard, it becomes somewhat of a rarity. And since most old boards were handshaped, they represent a different era and ethic than the majority of modern overseas factory products. Good bad or ugly, old surfboards are cool in my book. That doesn’t mean they have any great monetary value, it just means there are other values besides monetary.

There is in my opinion too much of that "I’ve got an old “classic” board. Is it worth anything type post that we see so often here on Sways. There are many elements that enter into it. For instance; An old 60’s Yater without a “Y” is just an old Yater. Not necessarily shaped by the man himself, but most likely one of the “Ghosts” . Of which I can think of at least two from the 60’s. But if my sister bought that board off the rack at garden Street SB in 1963; The value is intrinsic. Hell I burned a 1961 or 2 Dave Sweet on the beach at Oceano in the 90’s. It was a glorious friggin’ fire. Lowel

Oh and a smart ass Calif. Stater Rangier walked up to me as I watched it burn gnarly red flames and billows of black smock and asked me if I knew anything about this; To which I replied with a crooked grin: “Don’t know a fuckin’ think about it.” Lowel

2t2

Just curious Huck, Have you been down here to visit the SHACC?

if that is the surf heritage museum I did make it down a few years back, was totally blown away by all the really cool / historical boards on display!