Spackle and tint

First of all, is spackle compatible with PU blanks? If you spot spackle a PU blank and then glass with a tint will the spackle show up?  What would be worse- divots or the spackle?

Hey Jeff!

Spackle sucks with tints, because it doesn’t accept the resin into it like foam does.  Every spot of spackle will be way lighter.  But yes, it will fill holes, just like an EPS blank,

Divots suck too.  Maybe spackle, and paint the  color you want, then glass it tinted for depth.

Oops, double post

I bet too it will show as tint on eps spackle.

And like for eps better results with resin slurry spackle.

Do you still use epoxy on this pu blank or do you move to polyester? 

Hey Mark!  Long time.  I’m having issues with a stringer.  It must have wavey grain because when I go to cut it down with the finger plane it changes grain direction every 4-6 inches.  I have to keep changing the direction of the cut and it’s driving me mad.  I want to tint (was never a fan of opaque pigments) but know that every little scratch will show up.  I like your idea of paint but I have no spray gun…

Pics of my most recent build.  The few surfs I’ve had on it it goes fast…

ps we’re actively looking in the canyon because I’m officially reitred now.  Yea!

Using epoxy. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to polyester.

Yes it will show, but so will a divot.  Just depends on which is less noticeable.  Shouldn’t need a cup gun if you are steady enough to just touch up the spackle with a foam brush.  You might tape off the foam around the spackle.  Spackle works well on clear or painted PU foam and lots of shapers use it to fill holes etc in those US Blanks Seconds.  Rarely do you see a tinted blank come out of a glass shop without a small divot somewhere, that has puddled up with resin.

Nice job on that board by the way.

That is a really nice board!

Next time you’re up my way, stop by, since you’re retired!

That is a really nice board!

Next time you’re up my way, stop by, since you’re retired!

Jeff, congratulations on your retirement. I left the man 8 years ago and now living’ the life on the Central Coast. Best wishes to you and the girls.

Hi Tom,

Good to hear from you.  Hope you and yours are well. I retired as early as I could for mental and physical health reasons.  

I still get a good day at the Cove every now and then.  Summer time the crowd is much much smaller,waves are smaller too but can be fun.

What did you daughter think of the Olympics gymnastics drama? If I remember correctly she was highly ranked locally.