SPACKLE!!!!

Fast n final is at Lowes. I think every town in the US has a Lowes. Once you pick up the pail you’ll see why it’s perfered. Pick up a pail of Fast n final, then go pick up a pail of sheet rock mud, or other spackle type stuff. One weighs ounces, the other weighs pounds.

GTFD,

Mostly when water-based acrylic paint is mentioned here it refers to artist’s acrylic paint. Purchased in an art supply store, Michael’s, Value Craft, or from surfboard supply companies like Foam E-Z. I’ve heard some guys say they use regular house paint, but I’ve never had the guts to try it.

Doug

Quote:
So if you laying down a super thin india ink pin, or doing panel and shooting between the tape, your going to get more and excessive bleed.

Ever wonder why most EPS boards are clear or have minimum art work? Or if they are colored it’s usually the whole board, and it’s done in a light color?

Sure you can. All painted on EPS, including the pinlines…

Close up detail…

Quote:
Quote:

Ever wonder why most EPS boards are clear or have minimum art work? Or if they are colored it’s usually the whole board, and it’s done in a light color?

Sure you can. All painted on EPS, including the pinlines…

Sure, YOU can. It wouldn’t look like that if I did it!!! lol

Great work Atomized!

Nice design Atomized…

I’ve had problems with EPS beads tearing out when I pull the tape. That was when using 1.5 lb/cu ft density Home Depot block foam that was hotwired.

Maybe you would elaborate on how you obtained such clean lines.

EPS density?

Spackle or no?

Tape used?

Type paint?

So nice and clean.

I have all the same questions as John.

Tell us how.

Cheers

Mooneemick

Hey MDS

Been looking for a light weight spackle. Have you had success finding the same product that the US guys are using. The only ultra light weight spackle I’ve found is Bostik Kwikset and Red Devil Spackling. Both ultra white and light but they have some sort of latex ? additive, can be sanded but a prick of a job to do !

Have you or any Aussies got a good spackle tip?

Cheers

Mooneemick

Also in the UK, has anyone used the General Purpose Polyfilla powder from Polycell? No spackle that I can find here.

http://www.polycell.co.uk/…filling_plaster.html

EDIT: Ok, I’ll answer my own question after a bit more research. At Home Base, Multi purpose Polycell is grey and very heavy, so no go.

However, the ‘One Fill Polyfilla’ is extremely light, almost no weight, white colour and can be thinned with water, so I will try that.

http://www.polycell.co.uk/…lycell_one_fill.html

Red Devil is OK. I’ve used it. Never had any problem with that one.

Hey Greg

Thanks for that I’ll give the Red Devil a go.

Cheers

Mooneemick

Quote:

Hey MDS

Been looking for a light weight spackle. Have you had success finding the same product that the US guys are using. The only ultra light weight spackle I’ve found is Bostik Kwikset and Red Devil Spackling. Both ultra white and light but they have some sort of latex ? additive, can be sanded but a prick of a job to do !

Have you or any Aussies got a good spackle tip?

Cheers

Mooneemick

Hey mooneemick

That was my next question

Cheers

MDS

I picked up the Red Devil Brand spackle at Bunnings.

G.L says it works fine .

Cheers

Mooneemick

The surfboard specific EPS thats available now days. Most shops are using #2.

A good finish sand on the blank. Same with the spackle slurry. You want as uniform of surface as possible to paint on.

3m automotive refinishing crepe tape.

Artist quality acrylic paint.

Lots of practice- I do this for a living.

Quote:

MDS

I picked up the Red Devil Brand spackle at Bunnings.

G.L says it works fine .

Cheers

Mooneemick

Hey mooneemick

Let us know how you find working with it and what sort of results you get.

Cheers

its been said here before. but i really like the spackle and acrilic gesso mix . comes out ultra white and adds verry little weight.

Does anyone know of a good brand of spackle that is available in Auckland, New Zealand???

I’ve been using a heavier wt. sprack with great-er results for painting…the heavy sprack has a tighter / finer surface…after the sprackle dries… the wt. difference is so minimal that only an ant would feel the difference.

H

That’s interesting, I’ve heard of a guy using drywall compound and says it works great. I may need to do a weight test of a chunk of each type after they dry and see how they compare. Picking up the heavier type, you really feel like the “fast and final” type is the way to go because it feels so much lighter, but it may be the water in the heavy spackle compound (that dries up anyway) that is causing it to feel so heavy in the can.

Always wondered about that.

Good point surfthis.

That’s what was worrying me about the ready mixed compound.

Cheers

Mooneemick