Staining Balsa-paging JJP

I know he’s done it (recently posted green shortboard)…

Anybody else? What brand did you use? Any problems with epoxy penetration?

Have an idea for current project; looking to capitalize on other people’s knowledge rather than running around to craft/hobby/woodworking shops and buying alot of “This might work” bs sales pitches…

Thanks in advance!

My recommendation would be to use Transtints Aniline Dye. Its a powder that you mix with water, so you can get different shades for coverage. Load it into a sprayer, shoot it, wipe if off, let it dry. Repeat if necessary. It might raise the grain a little bit, but not much of an issue since your covering it with glass anyhow.

Waterbased Aniline stains are the choice for difficult adhesion projects. Stay away from the store bought stuff, like Minwax in a jar etc.

-Jay

yah i used the transtint in 70% isopropyl alcohol… sprayed it out of my gun, well ventulated area is a must…

i did a bunch of color fad tests and it fads in a day or so if it is not coated… with a thin rr epoxy coat it slightly faded in a week, so i figured under the glass etc. it will be good for a while…

to get an even coat your wood will have to be preped well, no tape goo or fingerprints or epoxy spots…

epoxy disolves the dryed stain very quickly… i did a “cheater” coat over the sprayed area to lock it it in, very carefully worked the squeege around so i did not get any colored epoxy onto the bare wood…

one other problem that you’ll run into is tape does not stop bleeding becaue the dye travles in the wood grain, thus the pin line on my board that you mentioned…

two very thinned sprayed coats gave me really good coverage. and i mentioned the epoxy dissolves the dye, so i think the epoxy bonded very well to the wood.

good luck, post some photos…