stance distance

what aspet of the shape of the board affectes foot placement??  i have a realy closed stance

A lot of factors… widepoint, rocker and bottom contours in particular, IMO.

Thickness distribution.

Don’t worry about a closed stance, I know more than a handful of guys with a very closed stance that rip. Both short and longboards too. One of my friends uses a shaper who has a similar style of surfing because of the stance.

I also notice that closed stance surfers tend to stand more upright, so you can get pretty good leverage on the turn. 

Troll Alert!

Look at all the other posts of this newcomer!

Dont play!

why bottom contures.  thanks

From what I was told by a top shaper the widepoint is set under your stance. So if you have a narrow stance you can get away with-either placing your wide-point in center or back center a bit. Like a inch or inch and a half back. But your middle rocker point must align with your spot you pick for your wide-point.
True what a guy pointed out that you don’t worry about it-especially if your wide-point in center or close center.

Otis brings up a good point, because if the guy has been surfing since '71, he is probably toying around or, and idiot.  Maybe his spelling lends insight.  Nonetheless, narrow stances were more common back then probably because of the BK-Lopez influence.  And to a certain degree we are all products of our time.  Sharkcountry is encouraging also, for lots of people rip with a closed stance, and it is elegant and graceful yet powerful when watching a master. 

sorry if i offed anyone with my  post . i am not playing around  this is my first time shaping a borad. in that aspect i am an idiot sorry just wanted some help

Catfish- I think he said it directly relates to bottom contours- as in rocker…

For example: take a board you surf and look at the bottom, locate the center and note how there are curves flowing at center, and from center… Basically you have 3 “rockers” on a board; nose rocker, middle rocker and tail rocker.
. Each has its curve and has to. Notice how the front nose rocker flows out of the middle rocker/curve that is very subtle, and look how the tail rocker is a more flatter curve-yet its still a curve-just a flatter curve than nose…

So let’s say I want to build a board with my wide-point @ the back an inch. Well, I now have to align my middle rocker there. Same if I decide to move it forward some or middle. The middle rocker must align or the board will be out of whack.

If I want to simplify, imagine you want to shape a board. Well you need to first determine WHERE the wide-point is on the blank. Then you use that point to align your own chosen wide-point for your board. It has to align.

I’ve shaped a board with my wide-point back a inch, I’ve shaped another in middle etc… Now I am doing one up a inch or 2. But there’s prob limits as to what works vs what is just kooky.

Start looking at boards- SIr! See how the thickness/foil ditribution flows from center of the board and out nose and tail… Get a good idea of what a good board looks like. Learn about planshapes, rocker, vees, concaves etc… Learn how to do ur rails. It all relates to stance and contours. Good luck sir. And do use google often! There’s tons of info avail.

thank you very much  iget it i can see now  you are a great teacher thanks  wide point = center rocker tangent .

O.K. here I jump in with a different take.

Wide point and rocker apex (the flattest part of the rocker, generally found in the middle) don’t need to align.  In my opinion, they don’t relate much to each other. 

Wide point, and really all template design, firstly have to do with the amount of weight a particular area of the board will support, and secondly how the water will grip the rail as it flows around it.  Smooth template and the water will keep a constant suction and hold as the water flows around.  Bumps and wings release the water’s grip on the rail.  Wider template supports more weight.

Rocker deals with speed of the board, resistance to pearling (nose diving) and the turning radius of the board.

With regard to stance, a narrower stance will put all your weight in one spot, generally in the center.  A wider wide point would help.  Also a smaller flatter spot in the rocker.

A wider stance allows for a narrower board, with slightly more parallel rails.  The flatter portion of the rocker could grow. 

In crudest terms, the kick in the rocker goes outside the area of your feet.

A narrow stance surfer could work well with a 20" widepoint,11 1/2" nose, 13 1/2" tail.  A wider stace could be 19" wide point, 11 1/2" nose, and 14" tail. These measurements would just be for comparison, and not right for any particular surfer.

Where you put the wide point has a lot to do with where you want to put your front foot, board length, and are you chest or leg heavy for paddling.

cool i think i get it chest or leg heavy for paddling. now i can know where to start the widepoint thanks

Glad you got an idea of where to place your wide-point…

Don’t overlook flex. You’ll get more overall flex with your feet close together on a shortboard. Less so on a longboard, and less so on a thick, stubby fish type. Foil, length, thickness, stringer, glass bill… along with other factors… play a role as well.

China Uemura and Mel Kini are 2 guys who surf with a closed stance on longboards and rip. China doesn’t surf much these days, more into SUP, but Mel still surfs and he has a really smooth beautiful style. Both of these guys are big and can throw a longboard around with ease.

Nj- surfer foil or distribution of thickness is something I’m starting to really use as it helps with the board/surfer relation aspects…

I suppose every shaper has his own method? I been checking (w/calipers and a rular) by the foot: 12" from nose, 24" from nose, center, 24" from tail, and 12" from tail… But I’ve read some shapers check in shorter intervals-even so much as a inch! But it has to help make for a more accurate design. Not to mension a more progressive thickness set-up for balance in nose and tail sections to help in whatever the shaper is trying to accomplish.
For example: I heard one shaper made his tail section a bit thinner only because his tail width made up for it in his wider tail shape… And another guy made his nose section a bit thicker to help padding? So it sounds like a balancing act? Its an area where you have a general balance in overall thickness distribution nose and tail. But one can alter that balance to their needs. Good point.

I just read one shaper adjusts this foil from deck rocker down. And this is to adjust to surfers weight etc…I’ll try it!?

More: I been doin a mix of shaping the rocker in my bottom first… Like I’ll mow in my nose and tail rockers in towards the apex/middle and to not overlap…I count my strokes fwiw, and once it looks to my liking. Then I check my foil-even though I’m self-teaching myself from my visual experiences of watching shapers do it.
So far my board work well, but I’ve had a few bugs I’m working out… Mainly blending deck rocker to compliment my bottom rocker and rail set-up.
On my last board I kinda rushed my rails and don’t like them all that much. But without mistakes what good results can we get without neg feedback? Live & learn.