Steve Coletta Benefit at the Rio Theatre, Santa Cruz Friday Night

Friends- Long time Santa Cruz master shaper, Steve Coletta, was

diagnosed last month with prostate cancer. He has surgery today and

while his prognosis is good he will be out of work for several months.

The Pleasure Point Night Fighters and the Santa Cruz surf community

will be hosting a benefit for Steve at the Rio Theatre Friday night at

7pm. Please join us. There will be music, surf movies and the raffle to

end all raffles. MCed by Kenny"Skindog" Collins and yours truly. If you

can’t make it buy some raffle tickets at the local surfshops. Steve is

a great guy- he’d be there for you. See you Friday!

Howzit Steiny, Harry Conte ( ex pesident of P.P.N.F.) gave me a P.P.N.F. t-shirt and a certificate and made me an honorary member. I have also done repair work on some of Steve's boards here on Kauai. How can we donate to the cause from here? Aloha,Kokua

Thanks Kokua- You can send a check to:

Coletta Benefit

C/O John Mel

Freeline Design Surfshop

821 41st Avenue,

Santa Cruz, Ca. 95062

Steve is a well respected member of our community- tip of the hat to the Night Fighters for putting this all together.

Steve is one of the nicest guys I have ever met! A few months back I bought twenty-five or so left over Clarks that he still had in inventory. I surfed the point that morning and then met him in the afternoon to pick up and load up the blanks. He had been down to Marina for a surf(pre shark bite). He gave me a tour of his Immaculate shop. Shaping room, glassing bay etc. Informed me of what he was up to etc. as far as blanks, shapes etc. He showed me a “big-boy” blank that he had recently shaped for a shop in Monterey. The short to mid size blanks that were finished and waiting to be glassed in the rack were perfect in shape and finish. I spoke to him about APS and difficulties I had encountered using the program. He offered to take the time to tutor me. I told him that I thought my longboards were good , but I wanted some constructive critisim 0f my shortboard shapes. He told me he would be glad to take a look at them the next time I was in town(SC). He even offered to give me a shortboard progam. We reminensced about some of the shops and shapers in SC that had come and gone over the years. Most especially on the Eastside and 41st. I felt as though I had just made a life long friend. We talked about John Mel and both agreed that he was a great guy. Steve obviously had great respect for John. I guess that is why I am not suprised that John has jumped in to help Steve in this time of trial. He’ll make it by the “Grace of God” and be there in the Monterey Bay shaping and designing some of the finest boards that have ever come out of Santa Cruz County or the West Coast in general. Natrual Curves are some of the finest shapes that have ever come off a shaping rack. Lowel---------Maui

i just talked to john mel, the donations for the raffle and auction are coming in thick! boards, wetsuits, art, all the good stuff. i pulled a nice riding vintage coletta singlefin out of the board shed for the auction too. come on down, buy some raffle tickets, see some friends and help out a great guy.

see you there!

Steiny------------I can’t make it myself as I am here on Maui. I am sending my daughter and son up from Seaside to represent. I told her to say hello for me . Her name’s Jessica. Big tall strappin’ blonde. Lowel

Steiny, Lowell, Kokua - all of you in the Swaylocks Family and the world wide surfing family - thanks for the awesome support.

My wife went to the benefit last night and the turn out was overwhelming. I’m humbled beyond words.

It brings a tear to my eye !!!

Just a simple note to all of you. Prostate Cancer is a silent killer. It’s the most common cancer to men. It’s a disease that has little or no symptoms until it’s too late. Whether you have a history of PC in your family or not and you’re 40 years old think about getting tested. If you’re 50, GET TESTED NOW !!!

I’m a very, very lucky man. I’m on the way to a complete recovery.

Kind regards to all,

Steve Coletta

Quote:

Steiny, Lowell, Kokua - all of you in the Swaylocks Family and the world wide surfing family - thanks for the awesome support.

My wife went to the benefit last night and the turn out was overwhelming. I’m humbled beyond words.

It brings a tear to my eye !!!

Just a simple note to all of you. Prostate Cancer is a silent killer. It’s the most common cancer to men. It’s a disease that has little or no symptoms until it’s too late. Whether you have a history of PC in your family or not and you’re 40 years old think about getting tested. If you’re 50, GET TESTED NOW !!!

I’m a very, very lucky man. I’m on the way to a complete recovery.

Kind regards to all,

Steve Coletta

Steve – That’s great news. I’m going to heed your warning and go get checked out. Our friend had a similar incident with the same results. Go get checked out. Got it.

aloha~ ep

Steve- I am proud to be able to call you my friend. so much love for you last night at the Rio- I am watering up writing about it. Ward Coffey said it best “I consider it more of an honor than duty to step up and be counted.” I got tested already this year - all clear. By you being open about your experience and the importance of being tested you saved a lot of people’s lives. Keep feeling better and let us know if we can help out in anyway. Nothing but respect, Steiny

Say hi to Kalu and your queen.

Steve------------My greatest respect. Hope and prayers for a fast recovery. Get back in the water and the shaping bay soon. I’ll be looking you up soon . Hell dude you made me tear up! There’s no doubt that Santa Cruz “IS” Surf City. The reason isn’t the waves(the best on the West Coast). No, the reason is the Surf Community. The people that live there and surf there. Absolutley “The Best”! Lowel

lowel- your daughter introduced herself to me at the benefit. you must be very proud, she is so poised, calm, and charming. it was very cool that came all the way up from monterey. thanks for the long distance support. steiny

Steve…I sent along my wishes with Skip for your rapid and total recovery…you, Chuck Vinson and Mike Duffy were the few guys I really got to know while doing the O’neill thing for the time I was there…and I had a ball golfing with you in that OP contest I mentioned awhile back!

I also loved the little double bump single fin flyer you made me when I was too stressed and overworked to do one for myself…and just you’re special brand of friendship that I hold dear to me to this very day.

As you know, I know (all too well) what it’s like to have your mortality in question…so I’ll visualize your complete recovery every day and send you energy until you have yours back.

Dead Shaper…