Steven Seagal and surfing

When I was a kid, 12 years old, used to look a lot of television. Fighting movies had my preference over p…, over cartoons, anything. There was this one movie with Steven Seagal, where he had to jump out of a helicopter onto a train to demantle this atom whatever bomb… Then, just after demantling the bomb, another badguy appears out of nowhere to make his life difficult. BUT, all happy ending after all. When his colleague said he presumed the guy was already dead, S replies: assumption is the mother of all fuck ups.

I never forgot that line, but it just now happens to be that line that fucked my board up…

Some pics and comments:

ordered a precut eps blank from atua cores: outline, rocker and foil cut to my specifications, luxury + home delivery…

did some butchering on the deck, rails and bottom, in non chronological order, and was really happy with the result: a finished shape of 900 something grams!!

HINT: buy those wicked 5/100 up to 100/100 mm spark distance plates you use to set your cars igniters. = Find out about concave depth, Vee distances etc…

Cut out the parabolic stringer (made of plywood weight +/-1kg) and glued that stuf together. Cut the form out of the blank with a router and get that thing to fit tight…

after that, used the debris to fit on top…

My thought was that keeping it all together was important ( no rubbing) , so the foaming polyurethane wood glue was used in combination with some professional weights…not…

turn to next page

After some more sand paper, vacuum cleaning, the board was ready for the next level: GLASSING.

I had some very wicked glass left, the stuff that weighs 9.3oz with a "weave that fits non_flat forms (also had 5.3oz) … Since i like to experiment, and read that epoxy boards finished off lighter than poly, i gave the 9.3 a go on the bottom (wanted a strong board, since i broke 7 last year, most poly or otherwise stringerless PUR_epoxy boards) so… here we go…

do some cutting (good scissors are worth it, but still used the old ones) poor the standard epoxy on top…

PLUSONESHAPER taught me some wicked stuff for epoxy galssing, thanks man!!! will ring the flex guy shortly now…

do all that epoxy spreading and wetting and voila… (actually did the bottom first, but do not have the pictures)

also did the bottom, haha, actually the bottom even overlapped the most exterior cut of the tringer inlay…

turn page again

Oh, and to justify my good glassing Thierry, a vague picture of the bottom glass that was well squeegeed (with a plastic SQ, thanks GregLoehr)

a bit vague, i want a digital camera!!

anyhow, after all this glassing, some topcoating followed, however, there was a problem: the top topcoat came off!!! i did not sand well enough ‘apparently?’ anyhow, i should have done it when it was wet still, tacky…

ANYHOW,

after this was settled, some paint was sprayed, not just some, a lot…

ONE CAN see Lisa Anderson’s autograph on it… I asked her in some hotel in Biarritz, during the FIRST EVER GIRLS Longboard competition to put it on, she did, i was stoked, but where was our friend Joe Scott for his word ???

So after all the travelling the board had done already, some more paint…

turn page

so…

where were we?

the fins…

i like the idea of speeedfins a lot, and am too bad a surfer to notice the difference with ‘‘good fins’’ anyhow, so here goes:

one can notice how i made little holes in the parabolic inside stringer…just some extra attachment i figured… of course, it was planned that the fins went over the wood, otherwise there could have been a “sollbrechstelle”. i dont know the english name…a place where you can be SURE any crack will start: hard to soft…

blabla

the finished setup:

HOW A ABOUT A SOLUTION TO REPLACE TAPING OVER FIN INSTALLATIONS?? Maybe we can use sand or coffee to pour into the fin boxes and holes, so that we can gloss and laquer and epoxy over it, then break this toplayer down and grind to clean to the sides??? Anyway, i still use tape, even with the consequences of seeing the border, just like a real surftech i told myself… (this is bitterness)

since surfboards are usually ass up on the beach, i decided to go with a reflective aluminium bottom… one can buy aluminium powder and mix this with the resin… here goes:

turn page or go home, you are home?? turn page…

I like the aluminium bottom

Are you glassing in your shower ?

all that red on the ‘gotcha’ ad makes it look like the scene from psycho , or was your planer attacking you again ??

so talk to us about the dimensions please ?

the title of the thread is interesting to …will we get to see steve holding the board , next to lisa anderson ??

lastly , where are you from , wouter ?

europe ?

interesting thread , 

I eagerly await to "turn the page " again …

cheers mate !

ben

So, after the bottom i still had to finish the top, since it was the top where the hotcoat came off, and i became a bit afraid of epoxy on epoxy i decided to go to a hardware store and buy poly…i did, and i put it on

ASSUMING I COULD SAND IT (hi steven)

It turned out i could not, which meant a lot of stress, and having put another layer of sandable poly on top, which I NEVER SHOULD HAVE DONE… but I rushed into it, big f words flying around…

THIS ADDED SHITLOADS OF WEIGHT TO A BOARD HEAVY ALREADY…

oh i forgot the side view, rocker view…

a bit deformed, cause taken from the top, it appears to have a lot of rocker which it does NOT…

only at the tail to keep her turning, burning…

so then some sanding, thanks FESTOOL

some polishing (cheap car “anti_rayures” anti_scratch)

and voila the TOP with Lisa’s Autograph:

and of course, THE END.

I am Dutch, figure the bike, a surfboard and a surfer headed to sea…

How does it surf???

It paddles like a ROCK… too much fin_toe, fair bit of tail rocker in combination with a fair bit of concave and its weight… pretty lousy

Once up and riding: it FLIES, its momentum is great, really great, this, in combination with a lot of lift from the concaves (single to double to double CC/vee) and the toe_in and tail rocker, still makes the board surfable

its weight is still very much limiting its performance…

Another one, 6… (ready for 8)

Thanks SWAYLOCKERS for sharing, this is my part of sharing…

Wouter

Dimensions:

Will post the aps3000 file tomorrow…

Live in France, with some onshore background (The Netherlands)

cheers ya’all!!!

Share the stoke

cheers Wouter !

maybe you and souln’power and surfer dave can have a eurovision surf gig

ben

Hey Wouter,

I like your style!!! Definitely not afraid to try stuff.

What is the rationale for the elliptical doughnut made out of plywood?

Seems like you make quite a few boards… …in a shower, I assume?

steven seagal says: assumption is the mother of all fuck ups…

thus one should be SURE, willing to put his bodypart on the line, about what he or she does, so that no fuck ups happen…

oh, and beware of advise too, always think twice…

see you tomorrow

…you’re one funky cat , wouter !

ben

[george I think you’re right … but my shower would only be big enough for me to shape a hemp inlay , ?perhaps aluminium bottomed? foam core skatedeck …WITHOUT bloodstains , hopefully ?? you got me thinking , though , Wouterman …and THAT , my friend , is always DANGEROUS !!]

ben

…it is also 4.53am saturday , ‘wouter time’

He +1 shaper, thanks again !!

the rationele was firstly a reinforcement to a stringerless blank, secondly, a reinforcement to TWISTING, and thirdly, when i had the wood in my hand before blending it into the blank, it had a bit of flex, but there is NONE of that flex in the board, me and a buddy stood up on it to test its rigidity: some 150kgs on top of it, moving up and down: it held up: SUPER STIFF, SUPER STRONG (too heavy and too strong and too stiff) i learned a lot though

i love to experiment, try new stuff

BTW It was not a shower, it was a slaughter house (just kidding)

EUROGIG HERE WE COME!!!

Chip, maybe a shower at a gym??? (late nights/off-hours)?!! (clogged drains and sticky floors in the morning…)

Wouter, HA!!! Slaughter house, that’s a good one!

Keep the slaughter coming! power to the plywood doughnut!!!

hey you guys took over my whipping room . Put the rack BACK on the wall when you’ve finished making boards . Don’t you make me crack my whip now

I love the desk made into a glassing rack ! MORE PHOTOS PLEASE !!!

great thread

just a question mr. wouter , sir , if you please …

your lighting , when shaping , in that shower room / slaughterhouse / whipping room …

is it [I am guessing here …] one overhead fluorescent light ?

if so , how do you go with seeing rail profile marks , bottom contours , and such ?

… just curious …

cheers mate !

ben

and …what are you going to shape out of all those other blanks in the background of your photos ? I look forward to seeing more of your work , mate . Thanks !

Hi Chipfish,

There are actually several lights from the side (TL), but we (an association) are far from the truth still…

The many boards are not mine unfortunately…

THE APS FILE SHOWS NOW !!

ummm…

aps file not showing

[for me , anyway …anyone ELSE not seeing it , to ?]

desolee , pote

ben