Sticky Channels

Interesting concept sold for use on BBs, Paipos etc.

Basically the inverse of channels. It would be interesting to see the effect of raised ridges patterned and sized like an Allan Byrne channel bottom.
“Sticky Channels” on Richard Mendonca’s handmade Paipo.

1 Like

The original 1989 patent used self-adhesive Automotive Side Molding for the “Power Ridges.”

1 Like

Hi, this is fascinating, new concept to me. Nice Paipo! In terms of applications, it looks like it could be of value to surf craft with low-friction bottoms, much like how finlets are sometimes used to dial in the amount of hold but keep the sliding design intent.

What do you think these “power ridge” elements do differently versus the Byrne type channels? Any rider reviews of the paipo?
Ed. pardon my grammar

New to me also. As shown, I believe they would improve tracking but allow slide. But would depend on number, height and cross-sectional shape of the ridges.

Byrne style channels are recessed into the hull. Ridges create profile above the hull. Ridges would create more drag.

Could make an interesting finless style hull. Thinking about creating some ridges with specific height and shape contours to add to the 1st BB I made but never ride. Could be a fun experiment…

1 Like

Seems like a neat idea. Drag only happens at the front of a fin, so like a channel, it’s low drag for more stick. But there’s a little lip where it sticks down.
Their website is down but UK boardshop has them for just 20 quid each, so it’s an interesting experiment to try. I wonder if you could use this and then use smaller fins on any board in general. So many options, not sure where to start?

Many possible options/configurations to play with.
Ordered a couple today to check quality and experiment